Add Zigbee devies through Aqara M2?

I have read a number of Aqara M2 threads and I am still lost. I am also new to this.

I started out with the latest Sonoff Zigbee stick and I give up. It’s crazy unreliable and I have even updated the firmware. The signal strength is horrible and unreliable even with 4 repeaters around the house.

So, I bought the Aqara M2 hub hoping that it is reliable and has the ability to update the firmware on my Aqara devices.

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to add my dozen or so Zigbee devices to HA via the M2 hub.

I don’t want Apple involved and I don’t want to open my M2 and hack it.

Did I buy the wrong device to replace my Sonoff dongle?

Home Assistant should detect the M2 if it’s on the same network, and the devices connected to it should also be detected. Are there any new Homekit devices showing up, since the M2 is listed as “Works with Homekit” on their website.

HA added the M2 but it also shows up as a HomeKit device. I am trying to avoid Homekit. I don’t want another system to deal with. LOL

What integration is it using, other than the Homekit one?

This is what I installed. Disregard the connection issue. I unplugged it and didn’t set it back up yet.

Capture

Do it the easy way …
1.Add(Pair) M2 with your android-phone, Aqara Home app
2.Then add/pair your devices, to the M2
3. when done plug out the m2 from power and network
4. install Homekit-controller
5. startup M2 again, hold the button untill it goes into pair-mode ( Homekit-controller should then discover your M2, Homekit integration(native-ha) most likely also want to have fun !, but you just click IGNORE, as it’s Homekit-Controller, as you have, that works best

So then all my zigbee devices will be available as they were previously using my Sonoff dongle?

Yes, if you unpair, and pair them with M2, they will be “stored” there, then when you “pair” M2, with HA(HomeKt-Ctrl) , they will be there, in HA, most likely with new ID’s thou :wink:

Nice! I will try that in the morning.

Thanks

1. Install homekit controller.
    I just get the “no attached devices found” message.

So I added everything to my Aqara M2 and then brought them into HA. I thought that I had problems before.

Wow…

So while I had it up and running I updated the firmware in everything that I could.

I then unplugged it and deleted everything.

It took me a long time to get it up and running but I reinstalled the new Sonoff zigbee stick and set up Zigbee2MQTT.

That was a pain and now things are even more unreliable. I even have a number of items that I added to my dashboard to watch. To my surprise anything that was a switch was randomly turning on and off every 1- 4 seconds and it would not stop. The lights were not tuning on and off but the dashboard was possessed.

Is it me or is this whole Home Assistant (Blue) and Zigbee devices an unreliable disaster? Is it rock solid for anyone?

Thanks everyone for the help.

?, Do you mean you “paired” all your devices to the M2 hub, and installed M2 in Homekit.Controller … And then you unplugged M2, and deleted everything in M2 ?

Before I paired everything to the Sonoff stick using Zigbee2MQTT I deleted everything from homekit and M2 then removed the hardware.

When I set everything up in Zigbee2MQtt is was a fresh setup.

I have no experience from HA-Blue, regardless i would bet on your first “thought” :wink: , based upon your whole message , which doesn’t make any sense.

You installed/paired all zigbee-device with M2, and managed to get M2 into Homekit-Controller ? … But then you unplugged it , and deleted everything, and installed Sonoff (again) … AND Zigbee2MQTT. ?

So what gave you the impressions that (with your experience) would make an easier integration with sonoff / Z2M ? … AND what was wrong with M2-HomekitCrontroller ?

And i hope/assume you are aware it’s 2 totally different integrations, and that you should make sure when install/uninstall integrations, it’s a “good” point in reboot, your system ( to remove “traces” in systemfiles, from integrations/devices )