Adding an Aqara Smart Temperature Humidity/Sensor

Hi there, is there a way adding an Aqara Smart Temperature Humidity/Sensor in HA without me getting a Xiaomi Gateway?

2 Likes

Here you go:

Did that a few weeks back and it’s working like a treat :+1:

Great tip. I will have a look at it and hope to make it too.

Happy new year.
Is the sensor accurate?

Hi,

I use a Conbee Stick (Link)

For getting it integrated i use the Deconz addon

It works fine withe my xiaomi door/window sensors and my osram smart plugs. For my hue lights and sensors I use the Hue bridge.

It should work with Aqara Humidit Sensor, but mine hasn’t arrived yet.

For more informations see

Yes it does indeed work great with deconz

They seem to be fine as far as I can tell.
All 5 of the ones I use report very similar pressure wherever they are in the house and the temperature and humidity values are very close when I put them next to each other.
The only device I have to calibrate them against is my thermostat and they are all within +1.5F of it.

Is there a way to actually calibrate the sensor? You can somewhere add the value that is off?

Yes, you can use a template sensor to add or subtract any offset found while calibrating the sensor.
You then use the template sensor in your automations/displays etc. https://www.home-assistant.io/components/sensor.template/

Read more about setting this up here https://community.home-assistant.io/t/sensor-calibration/48358

1 Like

Thank you. Really great tip!

Hi, assume you still need the actual gateway?
i bought an aqara sensor but only own RFlink connected to my Pi.

do i need to buy a gateway as well?

Take a look at the 2nd post in the thread - you can build your own gateway…

Check this post:

I have also ordered some of these… Do you guys have a cool Lovelace card to show all sensors?

Wanted to comment here that I am a fairly new Home Assistant user. I have a 4b + SSD running Home Assistant Supervised and a ConBee II stick. This thread really threw me for a loop and sent me down a rabbit hole. I couldn’t get the deConz or Phoscon stuff to work at all and spent a lot of time debugging. Eventually I realized that by adding the “Zigbee Home Automation” integration, I was able to directly pair an Aqara door sensor (brand new, don’t have a hub). Not sure if it’s just the temperature sensors that need the extra steps, but since this thread was one of the first google results coming up for me I thought it might be nice to point out for other newbies like me - you might not need all the extra steps listed out here.

You don’t need zigbee2mqtt for the Aqara temperature & humidity sensor as well. It can just be added in ZHA, without further configuration steps, just like any other zigbee-based device.

Hi there,

Sorry to dig up an old post but I’ve had issues with my Aqara Zigbee devices dropping off of my SkyConnect running in ZHA. Will they definitely work with ZHA Rather than zigbee2mqtt?

Aqara have told me they will only work with their bridge, not just any Zigbee network. I suspect this isn’t true but I’m now trying to trouble shoot the issue. I noted on the official HomeAssistant page that sometimes it can be low battery voltage. Another possibility is issue with my mesh network. I’m going to buy some extenders on Monday and see if this helps but just looking at all options.

My experience is: if they pair cleanly, mesh quality is not the problem, so maybe hold back on buying these extenders (unless you need them anyway).

Things that have worked for me:

1. Pair at the exact location where you plan to install the sensor
  2. Wait. And wait some more. Even if connection drops immediately after pairing, give it time. At least a night, better 24-48h. Just forget about it for a while, then look again. More than one sensor became stable for me only after some time. Interestingly, also the reported battery level improved(!) during that time window.
  3. If after 48h, the sensor still appears as offline, replace battery and see if that helps.

Above approach has worked for ~20 Aqara sensors (temperature/humidity and door/window), using ZHA, at least for me.

1 Like