Because of the irritation I got from my Xiaomi Zigbee bridge (talking in Chinese, sending data to Chinese cloud and a bad app) I started to look if it is possible replace the Xiaomi gateway with a more open solution.
I found that Andrew Linden had a proof of concept for this. It bridges events and allows you to control your Zigbee devices via MQTT. In this way you can integrate your Zigbee devices with whatever smart home infrastructure you are using.
I found this idea very interesting so I forked his repo and started to refactor the code, add features and write documentation.
Currently everything is working quite well for me so I thought it would be nice to share it here. You can find zigbee2mqtt on Github: https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt.
- Bridge Zigbee device messages to MQTT
- Control Zigbee devices via MQTT
- Home Assistant MQTT discovery (makes integrating with home assistant a breeze)
- Supports Xiaomi, Hue and Tradfri devices
- Support for new devices can be added very easy
- Docker images
Please let me know what you think about zigbee2mqtt!