Adding Ethernet to Google Nest Hub

Just thought 'd share something I did recently. Since we switch off our Wifi during the night, I wanted to see if I could keep our Google Nest Hub connected throughout the night, that is, via Ethernet.

I boought a cheap Micro USB Ethernet adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-Compatible-Chromecast-Internet/dp/B078MNW25Q

And also a Micro USB extension cable (the one marked as ‘Down’ version):

To get Ethernet working with the Google Nest hub, you need to detach the base, which then gives you access to the Micro USB port (which supports Ethernet). Since the base is quite thin, there is not much clearance to put any cable in there, so I ended up designing and printing a replacement base, which is high enough to allow for cables to be placed inside. I also made sure the custom base has enough raised surface area to allow for double-sided table to keep it attached to the main unit. I drilled out a small notch on the edge, to allow for the Micro USB cable to protrude from the base.

It worked out well. Now the Google Nest Hub works via Ethernet!

13 Likes

Hi, your project is very interesting. I would also like to use the 3D printing of the base. is it possible to have the print file? I would be grateful
Greetings, Videolabtech Mania

Hi @Videolabtech_Mania

I have shared the TinkerCad project. You can download the model in STL format and go from there.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Petar

Cool work!

Were you able to connect other USB perepherials like keyboard, mouse, flash drive, webcam etc. ?
Which of them worked ?

Can you please try if you can get ADB shell working ?
On Google forums say

“to enter this mode you’ll need to unplug your home and connect a usb cable to your pc, then whilst holding the mute button on the back of your home plug the power back in.”

Hi Peter, I hope you see this! This is a great write up. I tried everything on my Google Nest Hub Max and it works with ethernet. I love it. I just need to figure out the BASE part you made. You made a base for the Nest Hub, I need to figure out how to scale up that file for a Nest Hub Max (the base is larger.) I have no experience with 3D printing or modifying 3D print files. I downloaded your file and found a place on-line that could print it for me so I could see it physically… to just to better understand the part. Could you explain how you designed the base part? If I can Scale up the size I would share the 3D print file along with all credit to you.

Hi @nmitchell86

Bummer, that was a while ago. I played around with Tinkercad back then and just did the bare minimum to get the result I wanted.

Since then, I’ve been using OpenSCAD which is much easier to maintain afterwards, since you can see every single shape / transformation in your model. When I get some time, I will create an OpenSCAD version and then you can tweak it from there.

WIll keep you posted.

Hi @pkozul,

Thank you for the reply! I’m glad you saw my post. I really wish I had access to a Google Nest Hub to compare the base part and the Nest Hub’s bottom to understand how it fits and to see where I should be taking measurements from.

For the 3D printed base part did you just match up the measurement of outer edges of the part with the outer edges rubber base part that is glued to the bottom of the Nest Hub? Or did you take measurements from some other points on the Nest Hub?

Hi Peter, I do not have CAD printing device, but interested in buying this modified base for Nest HUb or Nest Hub Max. Could you help.

Hi all,

I don’t think Ethernet works any more on these devices. at least not on mine. I’m guessing Google disabled it in one of the firmware updates.

Some info here: Nest Hub with Fuchsia - USB Ethernet Bug/Regression | XDA Forums

Anyone have Ethernet working on theirs?

1 Like

Its not working anymore on new devices.

Since the last update Google nest Hub doesn’t want to hear about ethernet for me as well. Has anyone found a solution?

Regarding the support I made it in wood, I can provide the plan if interested.

Side issue, has anyone found a DC power extension cable for these in black? I can get them for the mini but not the nest.