Addon - OneDrive Backup

I know this add on offers one way sync to OneDrive, does anybody have a suggestion for syncing the other way? I want to be able to have Home Assistant mirror my media that is in OneDrive.

I love your OneDrive backup tool.
Thank you very much for your contribution.
But :wink:

I have the problem, that I have set OneDrive Backup to create 1 local and 5 OneDrive backups.
(I have limited memory locally).
However, I find multiple local backups frequently I need to delete then.
Is this because they are created locally and then synched to OD?
I did not find a setting to delete those after synching (if the above is true).
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

If you have MaxLocalBackups set to 1 then anything over that should be deleted.
The backups need to be monitored by the addon, so either:
These should be backups created by the addon or you enabled the “Monitor All Local Backups” option.
Backups that are not monitored by the addon will not be deleted.

If you think everything is configured correctly and still have issues please open an issue.

Thank you.
I will check the settings again and change it to compare before / after.

If I completely lose my local Home Assistant server, no local backups, how do I download a backup from OneDrive?

When I login to my OneDrive Web UI I see that some space has been consumed that reflects the Home Assistant backups but I do not see the files themselves. I understand they are in an App folder in my account. To install a fresh Home Assistant from a backup file I would need to have locally a backup file that came from OneDrive.

Thank you!

Everything is in the Readme in the original link. Take a moment to look at the GitHub page.
Backup Location

Restoring Backups

So the restore is not done at the time of Home Assistant onboarding.

In a disaster recovery scenario with no current Home Assistant anywhere…

I would be installing a clean, fresh / empty Home Assistant, then install the OneDrive Backup Add-On, then configure the new add-on to connect to my OneDrive, hope that the add-on connects to the same place (App data) as the old add-on within OneDrive, pull down backups locally and THEN do the restore.

Yes. Not sure what you mean by “Hope” it connects to the same place. That location is locked and deterministic by the app id and cannot change. Just make sure if you’re using an ‘instance name’ for your backup you use the same one when you restore.

Also the backup location is not hidden and you can always go to OneDrive and download the backups manually if you like.

1 Like

Hello, I installed the OneDrve backup but it turned out it did not work for me, so I removed it. I just noticed the message below in my logs after upgrading to 2024.2.0. It may have been there before, I do not know. I am just wondering what I need to do to completely remove the OneDrive backup add on?

24-02-07 17:31:52 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config using incompatible map options, ‘addon_config’ and ‘homeassistant_config’ are ignored if ‘config’ is included. Please report this to the maintainer of OneDrive Backup
24-02-07 17:31:52 WARNING (SyncWorker_6) [supervisor.addons.validate] Add-on config using incompatible map options, ‘addon_config’ and ‘homeassistant_config’ are ignored if ‘config’ is included. Please report this to the maintainer of OneDrive Backup

Trying to add this OneDrive backup, but the code does not work.
In the upper area of the OneDrive Backup page in HA it says “Not logged in! To sign in to OneDrive, navigate to htt…”.

I copy the code provided and click the link and it takes me to the Microsoft Enter code screen, after pasting the code I get the error message:

“That code didn’t work. Check the code and try again.”

What to do?

If the addon is not installed you should not be seeing those messages at all. It’s part of the addon config installed by Home Assistant and should be removed when you uninstall.

Out of curiosity - when you say it did not work for you, do you mean it didn’t function correctly or did not fit for your use case ?

Just restart the addon, it will give you a new code. I encourage you to visit the official github page and look at existing issues / file new ones if needed.

Thanks - it seems ok now.

As I recall, it was my use case and the Google Backup fit better. I am not remembering the specific reason. It is a shame because I have far more space on OneDrive. I also like OneDrive more than Google Drive. Maybe I should give it a try.

The ideal would be a cloud backup addon. It would let you configure the destination as Google, OneDrive, or AWS S3.

Would love feedback if something is missing. I am pretty sure most / all of the features available for the Google Backup are present. Additionally there is also an option for 1 directional file sync from Home Assistant regardless of the backups.

If I get some free time, I will look into my concern and let you know what I find.

1 Like

Is it normal that all my backups are listed as “Partial” in the Web UI? Is there any option I can use to have a full backup once every X days?

at a guess you’ve excluded something from the backup in your config…I’ve set mine up without any exclusions and they are marked as Full in HA

I’ve excluded just the Media folder, which is stored externally anyway.
I tried to include it as well and now it shows as Full, so that was it.

As long as it’s a “Full” backup except the Media and it just shows as “Partial”, then that’s fine! Thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s my understanding of it anyway…
You can open the zipped backup file and have a look what’s in there to make 100% sure…but fairly certain that’s why you have a “Partial”