Addon: Transmission

Since I don’t see it mentioned here, worth noting there is a dedicated project for Transmission forced running through OpenVPN called transmission-openvpn.

There’s no need for ovpn files as most VPN providers are supported out of the box.

This can be ran as a Home Assistant add-on, for example just add this custom repository: https://github.com/petersendev/hassio-addons/tree/master/transmission-openvpn

1 Like

Just installed your addon, @alexbelgium . Worked out of the box, without any trouble. Now I just need to configure remote access to Transmission so that I can automate it.

I’ll eventually try adding this for myself and I can make a push request when done if not implemented until then.

Anyway, thank you! :smiley:

1 Like

@g-nogueira Thanks for the feedback! I’m away for a couple weeks and won’t be able to work on it. If you propose a PR it would be with pleasure!

As I understand it is a custom gui ? If yes then, whether you do it or me, it could be better that we propose it through an addon optional option (boolean) so people can either use it or the default ui. I did that for example in my bittorrent addon, to propose 3 alternative ui in addition to the default.

Have a nice day!

Just noticed that the transmission settings are located on the config folder, so everything I needed was there.

Just to give context, I was trying to set up the Transmission integration so that I could use its sensors and, I thought, it was necessary to make any extra configurations on Transmission to allow remote access, but it turns out it isn’t. I was able to set up the integration perfectly.

1 Like

Great, thanks for the feedback!

Hi!
How I can get only I’d from dict?
From this template:
{{state_attr('sensor.synology_total_torrents', 'torrent_info')}}

I get:
{'In Flames - Foregone (Limited Edition) (2023)': {'added_date': 1675873346, 'percent_done': '100.00', 'status': 'seeding', 'id': 1}, 'The.Last.of.Us.S01.1080p.AMZN.WEB-DL.x264-EniaHD': {'added_date': 1676095198, 'percent_done': '100.00', 'status': 'seeding', 'id': 2}}

I need only name of torrents and id.
How I can do this?

1 Like

The other transmission addon pauses my torrents a sec after they are added for no reason. This addon still works well. Thanks!

For those who are interested, I’ve created a new simple alternative Transmission addon that does not require the use of a VPN:

Hello Alex,

I found your addons yesterday evening and i am very happy thst i did.

Could you please (or anyone else) help me to set it up?

I am having HA on a virtual machine, i have downloaded the addon and in the configuration tab i updated the local network ip with HA’s IP and of course the OpenVPN user and pass. When i open the webUI it just shows a bad gateway message and asks me if i want to restart the addon.

Just to let you know that i use PIA VPN.

Apparently, i haven’t done something as on github you are providing configurations for docker. I dont have docker but where should i put these configs?

Setting it up is important for me as at the moment i am running a different VM with Windows just for Transmission with PIA.

Thank you (or anyone else) in advance!