Addons config/data folders just missing

Not 100% sure this is the right section, but can’t find a better one.

It’s my understanding that I should be able to see the data/config folders for all my Docker based addons (Plex, Adguard, Node-Red) etc under /usr/share/hassio or /root/addons by the looks of what I could find, but my folders are simply blank.

Am I blind? Or am I missing some finer detail here?

I’m running on a Generic-X86 build now, but also checked on Raspberry Pi and find the same result.

I want to migrate my Plex library from another server, but that obviously can’t happen without access to the folders.

Addons run in their own Docker containers. You do not have access to their file system.

If you want that you will have to forego the supervisor and addons and manage your own Docker containers in a Home Assistant Container install rather than a Home Assistant OS install.

I figured that would be the reason, but then what is the purpose of the /root/addons and /addons folders it is Symlinked to? Why are they there at all?

Also what is this /usr/share/hassio folder I see others referring to which I simply don’t have?

config/addons is a share available for addons to use. I don’t know of any that do though.

Not sure about the others.

1 Like

Hmm, hopefully it’s a future development pipeline to allow exactly this.

That is where everything of HA is installed on a Supervised install on Debian.

Damn and here I was hoping for making everything simpler and less manual with Hass.io install over a conversational self-managed OS install.

2 Likes

@tom_l

So is there a way to access the container from the terminal ? and how I do that ? I need to run commands and no way to get to the container. Also I need to see the config data - to get a key out.
Your assistance is appreciated

I read about being able to access the hidden docker containers for add-ons somewhere (in the process of figuring out if an add-on could be converted to a stand-alone docker image), but I’m damned if I can remember where. If I find it, I will post it back here.

1 Like