Addons with Home Assistant Docker

I’ve been trying to find an example of how to run home assistant core on docker with addons. I realize that the addon store is unavailable in a docker install, but I wish to move away from a raspberry pi and I want to run home assistant on my docker host.

I am familiar with running docker containers but I have been unable to figure out how to properly setup a home assistant container with the various addons that I have grown to love.

For example, lets assume I wish to run the mqtt addon with home assistant core

1. Do I just create a home assistant core container and a mqtt container? i.e. can I use the homeassistant/amd64-homeassistant and the homeassistant/amd64-addon-mosquitto images?
  2. Is there anyway to replicate ingress?
  3. Could anyone be kind enough to point me to a tutorial or write up on how to integrate docker containers with home assistant or point me to a docker-compose file for reference?
  4. Is it possible to restore a snapshot to a docker container install? Or do I need to manually set it up? How would one backup a docker install?

Thank you so much!

2 Likes

You are looking for „Home Assistant Supervised“ as installation method and it is only supported on Debian Buster (whatever „supported“ means).

No, you can’t use the HA add-on images, they are specially modified to work with the HA environment. You need to use generic docker images.

You can check my docker-compose file in my github repo here:

I also explain in my README how I set up these containers and other stuff.

Personally I backup the whole VM as it’s easier, automatic and I have enough space xD there are multiple ways do backup your docker install, with Restic Backup or just backuo the volumes mounted to the containers or…

1 Like

No, but you can create an MQTT container and link it to the Home Assistant container (using docker-compose)

nginx or Traefik container.

Copy the configuration folder (incl. the hidden .storage) folder to a save location.

2 Likes