Adguard listening on 127.0.0.1 instead of the hassio ip?

Hi,
I suspect the root cause was the change of network interface names in HAOS11 breaking what AdGuard was bound to. That would explain why some folk reported just pressing SAVE fixed things - AdGuard found the new eth0 device name.

If you’re using AdGuard for blocking, the DHCP server needs to pass out the AdGuard IPv4 for DNS (likely the HASS IP), and the router IPv4 for default router (same as before - router IP).

The traffic routes the same, it’s just AdGuard selectively modifying DNS to block crap like Samsung wanting to know what TV you’re watching at all times.
TTFN,

James
If this helps, :heart: this post!

Thanks @FloatingBoater

Could you go to:
Settings->System->Network

Under IPV4 settings what do you have in the “Gateway address” and “DNS server” fields?

I can’t remember if we are supposed to put router IP (192.168.1.1) for both of those or just “Gateway address” and if the “DNS” field was supposed to include a traditional DNS (e.g. 1.1.1.1) or the IP of the raspberry pi that is running the home assistant software and adguard IP.

All of those settings were wiped out with the OS upgrade :frowning:

Hi,
I have a complex network with non-default RFC1918 IPv4 ranges so a screen shot won’t help you, but…

The HASS default IPv4 is Automatic to use DHCP, but using AdGuard it should be Static to avoid a loop of the server waiting for itself to get a DHCP.

Assuming you have:

• Router IPv4 = 192.168.1.1
  • HASS IPv4 = 192.168.1.250 (EXAMPLE - assign something memorable and unused on your network)

HASS Settings->System->Network:

• (*) Static
  • IP address/Netmask = 192.168.1.250/24 (assuming Class C)
  • Gateway address = 192.168.1.1
  • DNS servers = 192.168.1.1 (or could include the usual 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 - for the server only)

LAN clients will then use AdGuard’s DHCP to get an IPv4, and use the HASS IPv4 for their DNS server giving something like:

• IP address/Netmask = 192.168.1.10 - from the pool you assigned in AdGuard DHCP
  • Gateway = 192.168.1.1 - the ISP router
  • DNS servers = 192.168.1.250 - HASS / AdGuard itself to give the filtering

If you’ve lost/changed the IPv4 settings on HASS itself, then you’ll also need to check other IPv4 like MQTT clients and ESPhome.

If this helps, :heart: this post!

2 Likes

Incredibly helpful - thank you!!!

Yes, I just need to force “save” the config (by toggle back and forth the ssl option) . That triggers a restart of the AdGuard Addon. Upon restart, it starts (re)listening to the machine IP address (in additional to the 172.30.32.1 address

This worked for me. Thanks!