Advice before reinstall?

Pretty sure this is route I’m going to have to take but would love to hear some alternatives if there are any, here’s the story:

Noticed porch lights on after sunrise, quick check shows web interface isn’t loading. Back home later in the day, can’t ping rpi3 via the static IP I had it configured with…samba no longer working, web interface still won’t load. Took rpi3 to my bench, connected to monitor/keyboard but of course that’s kind of a waste…all you get is the HA splash screen on boot.

Checked my router and found that the rpi3 had somehow reverted to grabbing IP via DCHP. Device is pingable at the “new” DHCP address but still no web interface/samba. On a whim, decided to do static IP map on my DHCP server to match the static IP I had configured on the rpi3 in the beginning, just in case resinOS/HA were still expecting to use the static IP despite the fact that the device is now using DHCP. The DHCP static map worked and I can now ping the rpi3 at the IP that I had been using all along. Still no web interface/samba.

Want to try SSH directly to resinOS, put sdcard in another machine, added aurthorized_users file with public key. Try to ssh to port 22222 and it just sits there for anywhere from 10-45 seconds doing nothing, no prompt on screen, etc before error “Network error: software caused connection abort”.

Is there anything I’m missing at this point? Problem with my technique to ssh to resinOS? With sdcard in another computer, is /var/lib/docker the right place to look for my HA config files? (there is no docker folder in /var/lib so I’m wondering if I’m looking in the wrong place)…

Thanks for any advice…

Well, once you figure out the IP address of the RPi, before doing anything else, I would port-scan it, with something like nmap. See what’s open, or listening… Might want to try something like “nmap -p 1-30000” which would include the port “22222”. If SSH is open, on any port, try “ssh -vv [pi-ip]” this should tell you some verbose information about the connection, and if the remote host is actually accepting the connection, key, or what not. With that, you might be able to troubleshoot it further…

Hopefully you’ve backed-up your HA config somewhere, other than on the RPi.

Thanks much,

After posting I had the same thought…nmap shows only 22222 and ssh with verbosity says only “Connection Refused”. I’ll start re-installing… .Not worried about the configs, my main goal was to investigate what went wrong to work on prevention.

@mmastera did you fint anything, or did you just reinstall?
I have the same problem as you, I rebooted the Hassio and then it stopped working. Connection refused is all I get. After about 10 power cycles, I got it working! THEN I had to move the rpi and turned it off again. Same problem now, can’t access it…