I’m starting from scratch (not the first time - life gets in the way, home automation goes on a back burner, time goes by, and by the time I get back to it, I’ve forgotten where I left off and most of what I knew. Plus things have changed in HA…) so this time I’m dedicating a full weekend to laying a solid foundation. My goals for these 2 days include:
• Install latest hass.io on my Raspberry Pi 3
• Flash Tasmota on a bunch of Tuya smartplugs and strips (are EtekCity smartplugs Tuya?) as well as a couple of Shelly 1’s.
• Get a Broadlink RM Pro+ setup to control my home theater system and 3 ceiling fans
• Get a Nortek Z-Wave/Zigbee controller setup to control my Kwikset (Z-wave) smart lock
• Get presence detection setup for controlling the smart lock automatically
• Setup a few Wyze cams and several Wyze motion and contact sensors
• Get Node-RED setup and get a few simple automations created so I can build on that knowledge going forward
My questions are:
- In between installing hass.io and adding all my devices, what are the essential add-ons I should install? In any particular order?
- Are there any particular pitfalls I should watch out for?
- How should I separate/arrange my configuration?
- How should I backup my configuration?
- Any other advice, in general?