Advice on Transitioning to New Network

I’m dire need of upgrading my network (new router, new wifi APs), and I’ve been considering UniFi. However, I’ve been hestitating because I have no idea how the transition will work w/ Home Assistant and especially with my Tasmota devices. At the same time, I’m also wondering if I’m making this harder than it actually is. So, looking for advice:

1. How do I handle my tasmota devices? All, obviously, utilize my current wifi network. What happens when that old network goes away and a new one gets set in place? How will I find my tasmota devices, reassign them to the new wifi network, etc?

2. Is it better to start over or should I try to accomodate the network change?

Thanks everyone!

How difficult can it be ? Just use your current SSID and password on your new gear. Nothing changes for your Tasmotas.

I guess I’m making this out harder than it is (I’ve not transitioned to a new network in years). Once I remove my old network and install the new one: because the tasmota devices use the old SSIDs, how would I find the devices to change them? This is the part that isn’t translating in my brain.

Like I said: use the same SSID and password on your new network as on your old network.

i just did a forehead smack. Thanks. I really did make this harder than it was. LOL

Hi,

For sure there is much value in the KISS principle, but i’m wondering why you want to upgrade your network in the first place? Are you trying to achieve something specific, like enhanced security for IoT devices, or simply to replace old for new gear.

So depending on why you want to upgrade in the first place it might be a good time to stop & think about the bigger picture. Off course things then don’t remain simple any more but an upgrade can be a great chance to learn a whole lot more about networking & security in the process.

I too was faced with this same kind of decision recently & i knew i wanted do do something more than to just get a new/faster router. So if you are still thinking about a larger project & want to chat about the approach i have taken please let me know.

Cheers
Nick