Advice on Zigbee range extending

@mrneutron awesome, thank you!

Again, hope https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant.io/pull/15789 will be reviewed/accepted.

hey all

i would love just some verifications b4 i go out and spend money on the wrong thing.

I have “sonoff zha bridge” flushed with tasmota, and connected to my HA.

i too have coverage problems, and understand that some “always powered” devices will probably fix it.

so basically 3 questions (not sure if it maters, but as i said - i have a the sonoff zha bridge flushed with tasmota as main zha hub):

1. will the “sonoff zigbee basic” that r mentioned here solve my problem?

2. i was planing on buying the 'tuya" smart plugs from aliexpress, but If i understood correctly they might not be compatible with all zha sensors/products (most of mine are from sonoff)?
    unfortunately, ikea tradfri are not sold here.

3. will another sonoff zha gateway (with/without tasmota firmware) be a better solution?

thanks!

Does anyone know if the Zigbee Module USB Dongle can work as repeater without connect in HA or any computer? Just the dongle and the power supply?

Yes. Just plug them in a phone charger.

1 Like

can a coordinator act just as a repeater?

In short : no

There is a different firmware you need to load if you want the TI-based USB devices to behave as a repeater (router), rather than the coordinator.

Look here, and click on the Router version of the Z-Stack firmware:

Load that firmware into the TI CCxxxx chip on the USB device.
Follow the link to loading firmware I posted, earlier in this thread:

THEN, your USB device will act as a repeater (router).

2 Likes

A non-zigbee smart plug can’t extend the range of the zigbee network, a zigbee smart plug doesn’t need internet.

So why do you need an internet booster?

He joined 3 hours ago, posted this 3 hours ago and read 6m. A spammer ?

given the link, I suspect yes.

Dunno. That was an iffy one. Have decided to err on the side of caution. Thanks for the report.

Yes they can but need to first flash the correct “Zigbee router” firmware for your Zigbee USB adapter.

You can now do this with both Texas Instruments and Silicon Labs based dongles with the right FW.

Late to the party here folks, but, I’m planning on setting up a Zigbee network in my home with the following details:

1. Total length of the house end to end is 17m
  2. Using sonoff CC2531 USB dongle as the coordinator right in the middle of the house
  3. Aqara motion, door and temp sensors throughout the house. Approximately 15 in number
  4. Zigbee wall switches (with neutral wires) - approximately 20 in number. I have tested that these do act as repeaters for the motion sensors (and for other similar switches too)

My question is, is there a limit to the NUMBER of devices in my Zigbee mesh (or the number of hops to and end device) when using the sonoff cc2531 dongle?

Yes, about 30 devices.
Better to use Conbee 2 stick

Better use a CC2652x

unless you have powered routers/repeaters
 each router will increase the total number of zigbee devices supported by your mesh

So you should be able to given the use of the wall switches

THANK YOU!! This is a key point here. I will have powered switches which DO act as repeaters/routers. I have connected 4 of them - 2 Chinese made 3 gang devices and 2 Sonoff ZBMinis in my home as a POC/test scenario and can see them act as repeaters/routers in the ZHA Visualization tab.

Another few questions:

1. What is the recommended distance between CC2531 dongle and the “first” switch (nearest to it)
  2. What is the recommended distance between the repeaters/routers themselves (switches)
  3. Is there a maximum hop value in the network to reach the coordinator? Ex: What if there is a chain of 4 switches (routers) between the endpoint and the coordinator? Will that work?

If you want to stick to the CC2531, I recommend to use the source routing firmware, and to pair all your routers first, before pairing your sensors.

From the FAQ :

I read that Zigbee2MQTT has a limit of 20 devices (when using a CC2531), is this true?

Definitely not! Example given: the default Zigbee2MQTT CC2531 firmware indeed supports 20 devices connected directly to the coordinator. However, by having routers in your network the network size can be extended. Probably all AC powered devices e.g. bulbs serve as a router, you can even use another [CC2530/CC2531 as a router] (which has a limit of 21 devices).

When using the default Zigbee2MQTT CC2531 coordinator firmware + 2 CC2531 routers your device limit will be:

• Coordinator: 15 - 2 routers = 13
  • Router 1: 21
  • Router 2: 21
  • Device limit of 55 devices

Thank you @francisp

Another few questions (same as what I asked above):

1. What is the recommended distance between CC2531 dongle and the “first” switch (nearest to it)
  2. What is the recommended distance between the repeaters/routers themselves (switches)
  3. Is there a maximum hop value in the network to reach the coordinator? Ex: What if there is a chain of 4 switches (routers) between the endpoint and the coordinator? Will that work?