Aeon Labs ZW062 Garage Door controller - stateful commands

Glad to hear!

I didn’t know you could have a condition within the action - so much to learn! And handy for this because I wasn’t sure how else to reset the switch (boolean). Although I also hadn’t thought it would matter much, for example, what position the close switch (boolean) was in when the door was closed; when the open automation ran it would “reset” the close switch ready. I realise now though that if the garage door is opened by the remote… so thanks for improving it.

If only the Barrier Operator command class was available!

Can I ask what you use for location tracking? That’s my next challenge: when I approach the house in my car or bike I want the garage door to open automatically! :grin: WiFi/Bluetooth/OwnTracks/GPS tracker/tasker… so much reading to do!

PS Looking at your garage entity ID above, have you seen that the Z-Wave IDs will be changing in 0.48? https://home-assistant.io/blog/2017/06/15/zwave-entity-ids/

Nothing at this stage. I looked at using OwnTracks but only got part way through setting it up. It’s pretty involved to set up properly and seemingly not that accurate at times anyway.

However - having an automatic open when in the car (assuming it has bluetooth) should be achievable with tasker (or macrodroid) without necessarily configuring location tracking in HASS. Set up a geofence, condition it on your cars bluetooth and have that trigger off the door automation via the REST call above. IMHO this is a far simpler way to set it up if that’s the end result. Of course if you want HASS to do other location aware stuff then you’re better off with location tracking. For me though, I’d prefer to manually instruct the door to open.

Yes, I’m aware that the Z-Wave IDs will be changing. I’ve got updating HASS and the Z-Wave IDs on my list to do this week.

Time to revive this thread with support added for barrier commands - anyone else given it a go?

The good news is that the cover commands work correctly now! eg calling close.cover when the garage door is closed doesn’t do anything.
However the bad news is that, for me at least, HA and/or OZW no longer seems to know if the door is open or closed. The state updates if you use the cover commands - but if you use the remote it has no idea the garage door has changed and so gets out of sync. :confused:

I’ve tried re-connecting the door tilt sensor, removed and re-added the GDC from the Z-wave network and then factory reset the GDC… and even “started again” when I moved from the AIO on Raspbian to hass.io. So I don’t know what else I can try?!

Anyone else have any experience?

1 Like

What is the first line in your OZW_Log.txt file?

I’m also having the exact same issue mentioned above. For me the first line says
2017-08-13 09:26:48.710 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2508 Starting Up

Same version for me:
2017-08-13 23:37:23.077 Always, OpenZwave Version 1.4.2508 Starting Up

Running Hass.io 1.0 and Home Assistant 0.51

You need OpenZwave version 1.5.xxxx for it to work properly.

See this thread here

Didn’t HA 0.50 support Barrier_operator, as per the change notes:

The Home Assistant Z-Wave Cover implementation has been updated to support the latest development version of OpenZWave. If you are currently applying a workaround to your OpenZWave installation to support the barrier command class, you’ll need to make sure you update your workaround to the latest development version of OpenZWave. (@firstof9 - #8574) (cover docs) (cover.zwave docs) (breaking change)

Plus the cover state is working!?

The Barrier support comes from OpenZwave and it is only in the development version of OpenZwave. The changes to HA were to “not break” peoples work around’s.

Oh OK. That was not clear in the release notes, but thanks for clarifying it now.

Any idea how long until OZW might be updated in HA with this support? (ie days, weeks or months?)

I was hopeful last October. As with most Open Source projects, there is no real timetable. Around the October timeframe, Sigma, the Zwave owner, released a lot of the zwave protocol to open source. That may have triggered a lot of rewriting, but I really have no idea.

1 Like

Installing the dev version is easy, it’s literally 1 command.

Thanks @firstof9 but reading the thread you referenced above I can’t see a 1 command installer for hassio…can you point me to the post please?

Command: pip3 install python_openzwave --install-option="--flavor=ozwdev"
I don’t know how it should be executed on hassio tho.

Then you’ll need to tweak __init__.py in homeassistant/components/zwave/

Post 319

Hello,

I have recently got my AEOTEC Garage Door Controller installed and working - although it works, I was wondering what entity’s other members have?

Mine is set to hail mode else I was unable to get it opening and closing correctly, however there seems to only be a few entities such as the “cover”, “switch” and a couple of sensors which appears to not do much.

Does anyone know if this is because of the lack or barrier support currently? Or is there no other entity’s anyways?

In any case, the automations work and I can control the door to go up and down (although there is not “stop” feature?? Does anyones have a stop button along with the up and down arrow?) and notifications via PushBullet etc work fine…

The “stop” feature is usually only for window covers.

I see! Thanks for the info.

Has anyone had any luck with displaying the state of the Garage as “closed” or “open” rather than just an up and down arrow???

If you look at the history it does say open or closed however I can’t seem to find any entities with these values where I could display it intuitively on the front end as open or closed rather then up and down arrows

You see the state of the Garage either from the icon of the up/down arrow of the cover
or you read the state of the switch (tilt sensor). The switch is off if the door is closed an on if it is open.