Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 Pro Compatibility

Hi everyone, I’m relatively new to Home Assistant and trying to get started with Z-Wave devices. I’m running the Home Assistant Operating System on a Raspberry P and purchased an Aeotec Z-Stick Series 5 (the new ZW090-A Gen5+ version). I added the Z-Wave JS integration and was able to get the hardware set up. I then attempted to add several Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 Pro sensors (model ZWA012-A). When I add a node, Z-Wave JS finds the device and creates a node, but no entity is created. The manufacturer and model numbers for the added device are listed as “unknown” and “node ready” says “no.” I looked up the device in the Z-Wave JS compatibility database, and I don’t see the ZWA012 listed. Does that mean these newer Aeotec contact sensors are not compatible? Is there any way to add them that I’m missing? I would appreciate any pointers as I’ve done as much searching as I know how and can’t seem to figure out a way forward.

The development team has compiled a list of devices they are currently integrating.

https://github.com/zwave-js/node-zwave-js/issues/1600

The ZWA012 is on it.

Ah, perfect, thank you for that update!

1 Like

I should have added that you might be able to find or create a JSON file which contains the device info, and add it to your own integration. If the files are stored in a local director (vs. in a Docker container) it would be easier to accommodate. Similar information would be found in an XML file for the device, but you’d have to reformat the information to comply with the JSON format. There are editors such as Visual Studio Code or Notepad++ which can facilitate complying with the strict formatting rules.

I wish I could give you better info, but I have yet to take the leap to Z-wave JS.

@jsteele did you succeed in adding your ZWA012 using the new Z-Wave JS integration?
I’m considering purchasing it if support is already there

No, unfortunately. I waited for weeks, and the ZWA012 was still not supported. I decided to give up and switch to Hubitat since I was building a new system in my RV. Everything has been working great on Hubitat so far.

ZWA012 is supported but since there’s no device configuration file you won’t get friendly device and manufacturer names.

The interview will take longer partly due to some unsupported functionality. Because of this unsupported functionality (Transport Service CC) and lack of config file, the configuration parameters are not available.

Otherwise, the basic door/window sensor functionality should work fine at this time.

I have the 7 Pro, it works as you describe, basic door/window sensors come into HA just fine.

Thanks all for the confirmations! I have a few of these devices ordered - together with a new a new usb stick (the dual zwave/zigbee) on the way as well.

Looking forward to migrate my existing devices and the new ones to zwave-js. I am guessing I will wait for the next HA release which should be around the corner, to get the latest zwave-js changes

Hi
I have tried to get it to work for days
I am using z-wave js with Aeotec Z-Stick 7
Any help