Aeotec HEM1A60 alternatives for tracking energy usage? non zwave? tasmota?

Hi all,
I’ve been tracking energy within my house for a while, but on a more localised level with groups of items or particular appliances and reported into HA.

I’m looking to track my total household usage, and have found that the Aeotec HEM1A60 (single/1-phase) or HEM3A60 (3-phase model) seem like a good choice for reading in kWh usage on a mains level.

This is the Aeotec HEM1A60.

I use Vera Plus controller to manage my limited zwave network, and the issue for me is that I’m not sure how invested I am in zwave being the future platform I want to keep investing into going forward, especially with so many other good alternatives out there.

I’m wondering if anyone out there knows of any good alternatives for reading household mains energy usage using other methods.

I’m particularly interested if there are zigbee options or perhaps something out there that I can flash tasmota or ESPHome onto?

DIY Whole Home Power Monitoring with ESPHome & Home Assistant

1 Like

Thanks @Coolie1101
In my research I came across a recommendation for HomeWizard and their products.

Their prices are very reasonable and I spent some time looking through the Home Assistant Integration for HomeWizard.
As a result, I’ve just ordered the Wi-Fi kWh meter (with cable set) and a 3-pack of their WiFi Energy Sockets. The HA integration supports all their current products it seems, which is great.

The Wi-Fi kWh meter

The WiFi Energy Socket

Gonna test them and see how well this works, otherwise return them.

2 Likes

I wanted to follow up on this, because I ordered this item and have not said how well it works.

Well, myself and a friend of mine both purchased this same unit at the same time.
The unit I purchased is apparently faulty, and is not reading out anything, but it is wired up correctly by an electician. My friends unit installed the same way, works without any issues.
Also, the unit I have is available on my network, and working with the excellend HA Integration I mentioned earlier, except that it just reads out 0kWh.

I contacted Home Wizard, and they confirmed they are sending out a new unit, and a return box so I can return the faulty one.

So bad luck, but Home Wizard and being champs, and I just need to wait a bit longer.

Once everything is back and installed, I’ll post back on how it works.

So I got the replacement Meter from HomeWizard, I installed it and the replacement works as expected.
I’ve been using it for a while now and I think I can say it’s pretty good.

The integration works pretty well, is local and direct, without any cloud requirement which is great.
Also there is an Android App available, where you can also monitor and view the readings.

I’m starting to mess with manipulating the data, but I think that its pretty straightforward and I’d recommend it.

1 Like