Aeotec Multisensor 7 motion detection not reporting?

Hey Everyone!

I have an Aeotec Multisensor 7 that I’m pre-configuring before putting it up in my house. The motion detection was working great (instant feedback), but I had to do some work to get the other sensors (temperature, humidity, illuminance, etc.) to report more frequently (30 seconds instead of the default hourly reporting).

I’ve fixed the data frequency, but now the motion sensor response is extremely poor (I can vigorously wave my hand in front of it without notification). I may have updated a setting incorrectly when fixing the reporting cycle. I’ve set the “motion” settings to the smallest allowable values:

• Motion Retrigger Timeout: 30
  • Motion Reset Timeout: 30
  • Motion Report Type: Notification and Sensor Binary Report

What other setting values should I confirm are within a good range?

Thanks for your help!!

Phade.

Did you get yours to work?
I am having no luck getting motion to work with mine.

Unfortunately, no, I couldn’t get it to work as desired and I’ve moved on to separate Zigbee and Bluetooth devices to hopefully accomplish my goals. I’m really disappointed in the Aeotec device in general. Perhaps later I can get it to work for another purpose. But until then…

1 Like

Thanks for the response.

I also decided to dumo mine in a box. Realy disappointed. My Multisensor 6 works great out in my garage but this 7 model is purely useless in HA with Z-Wave JS.

Hi,

is any update about this? Is it bug on Aeotec side, or in Z-Wave JS integration?

Thanks.

1 Like

I am unaware of any changes or the actual cause of the issue.

I am having the same issue on a brand new one :frowning:
Worked for 5mn … now nothing …

I have been waiting for it to be in stock for month, very disappointed… The dev from zwavejs himself recommended my Aeotec when i was questioning there quality after the usb3 issue with the Z stick

[14-134-0-applicationVersion] Application version

just wanted to add some feedback here for others stumbling upon this thread.

for some background, i have a wide variety of sensors in place in my home automation setup – some zigbee and some zwave – converted from smartthing to home assistant. zigbees are sonoff outlets, hue motion sensors, aquara leak detectors and 3rd reality buttons. zwaves are schlage locks, zooz and leviton switches, ecolink tilt sensors, aeotec multisensor 7, aeotec siren 6 and aeotec gen 7 recessed door sensors. total devices is over 50 including 4 zwave range extenders.

i will say that the zwave stuff overall i more flakey than the zigbee, but both have had issues. the aeotec multisensor 7 being discussed here, and also the aeotec recessed door sensors however have been some of the more reliable and have had very reasonable battery lives considering they are placed in the highest traffic areas of my house. both have been in place for over a year and have had no failures which is not the same I can say for some of the other brands.

i’m using an aeotec gen 5 zwave stick and a nortek combo stick (with the zwave disabled) for the zigbee.

am mentioning this to suggest that the multisensor 7 is as reliable or more than anything else and can be made to work well with home assistant and is something i’d recommend.

for the multisensor 7 i’m on firmware 1.66 and am using the default timeouts if that matters. i’d suggest switching them back to the defaults and working from there if your sensors stopped working after tweaking the config.

I got mine working by setting the “Motion Retrigger Timeout” from blank to 30 in Z-Wave Device Configuration

Just joined (i am actually using it with Aeotec’s own smartthings hub) that this is a very unreliable device.
Same issues as others, “playing” with settings (as suggested above) does have some effect but behavior still too unreliable .
Although never tried it with plug power, only batteries.
I had two of this devices , first worked (poorly) for couple of days and died completely, so got replaced, the second is kind of works but motion sensing is really poor up to “can’t really be used” to what i need it for (basically to turn on the light when i come in and the light is too low and turn off if light above some level or if no motion for 5 minutes) , the last two tasks are “kind of working” but the first is almost never.
I have several cheap chinees zigbee sensor devices and they work perfectly and cost like 1/5 of multisensor 7 , the only downside they need tuya compatible zigbee hub

I’ve had better results with the Zooz Zse18 for motion triggering.

This is the key to using the Aeotec MultiSensors - I own six of them…

they’re great

…if.youre on DC power. If you’re on battery the device is hardcoded to ramp down the reporting (doesn’t matter how you set the device settings) and everything feels ‘sluggish’

I use the wall mounts and have them on a poe>usb tap stuffed in the wall behind the sensor.

1 Like