Aeotec Nano Dimmer config - not dimming?

The problem is almost certainly with the Z-Wave library, OpenZWave, not supporting the device correctly. In theory any standards compliant Z-Wave Plus device will “just work”, but it’s entirely possible that there’s a bug in OZW, or support for this type of device isn’t complete.

I tried both to increase and decrease value for parameter 132 via input_number slider. It changed brightness accordingly. I noted that starting from some number (in my case about 25) brightness remains unchanged. With value =18 and less lamp does not light at all. Thus, operational numbers for me are not 0-99, but 20-99.

Perhaps during my test I had several actions on that trigger. At the moment only debug message via telegram bot is being sent in addition to parameter set. Now log without errors looks like :

Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Corridor - Adjust Brightness: Running script
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Corridor - Adjust Brightness: Executing step call service
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 INFO (Thread-6) [homeassistant.components.zwave] Setting config parameter 132 on Node 5 with selection 34
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.script] Script Corridor - Adjust Brightness: Executing step call service
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.telegram_bot] New telegram message send_message: {‘message’: ‘23:04:14 2018-08-07 New brightness selected in GUI input_number.corridor_brightness: 34.0’, ‘target’: [xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxxx]}
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 DEBUG (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.telegram_bot] Send message in chat ID xxxxxxxxx with params: {‘timeout’: None, ‘disable_notification’: False, ‘reply_markup’: None, ‘reply_to_message_id’: None, ‘parse_mode’: ‘Markdown’, ‘disable_web_page_preview’: None}
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 DEBUG (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.telegram_bot] Last message ID: {xxxxxxx: 12508, xxxxxxxxx: None, xxxxxxxxxx: None, xxxxxxxxxxx: None, -xxxxxxxxxxxx: 12497, xxxxxxxxx: 12507} (from chat_id xxxxxxxxx)
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 DEBUG (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.telegram_bot] Send message in chat ID xxxxxxxxxx with params: {‘timeout’: None, ‘disable_notification’: False, ‘reply_markup’: None, ‘reply_to_message_id’: None, ‘parse_mode’: ‘Markdown’, ‘disable_web_page_preview’: None}
Aug 07 23:04:14 hassbian hass[30908]: 2018-08-07 23:04:14 DEBUG (Thread-4) [homeassistant.components.telegram_bot] Last message ID: {xxxxxxxx: 12508, xxxxxxxx: None, xxxxxxxxxx: None, xxxxxxxxxxxx: None, -xxxxxxxx: 12497, xxxxxxxxxx: 12509} (from chat_id xxxxxxxxx)

In my opinion it can’t be due to open z wave. I have 11 nano dimmers in our house and they work flawlessly. The delay is most likely transition time which there also is a parameter for. Unless the light doesn’t start lighting immediately?

Can you provide your config/settings?

Yes @Morten_DK , can I please see how you have them configured in hass?
I have a theory it could be the Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 causing the issue… what zwave controller are you using?

I am using the Aeotec Z wave stick also, so the setup is similar.

Is there a way to extract the configurations instead of click on each parameter in the z wave settings? Otherwise I will post my settings when I get off work.

@Morten_DK I am very interested to see, that would be great thanks. I’m not sure if there’s a way to extract them all at once though. I’d also like to see your control config, is it similar to mine at the top of this post or are you changing something different to dim?
Cheers

In regards to dimming I haven’t changed anyting beyond parameter 131 and 132, that makes the dimming work in the UI for me. I then dim via automations later on.

Node information:
averageRequestRTT: 26
averageResponseRTT: 58
capabilities: beaming,routing,listening
friendly_name: Spot Køkken
is_awake: true
is_failed: false
is_info_received: true
is_ready: true
is_zwave_plus: true
lastRequestRTT: 24
lastResponseRTT: 37
manufacturer_name: Aeotec
max_baud_rate: 40000
neighbors: 1,7,9,10,11,12,14,15,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,25,26,27,28
node_id: 8
node_name: Spot Køkken
product_name: ZW111 Nano Dimmer
query_stage: Complete
receivedCnt: 20
receivedDups: 2
receivedTS: 2018-08-08 21:22:06:212
receivedUnsolicited: 3
retries: 0
sentCnt: 37
sentFailed: 0
sentTS: 2018-08-08 21:22:06:055

Parameter 80: Send multilevel…
Parameter 81: Basic
Parameter 125: 3
Parameter 129: Leading
Parameter 131: 15
Parameter 132: 99
Paramter 249: Recognize the load once power on

Current info right now when the lights are on but dimmed is:
{
“brightness”: 124,
“node_id”: 8,
“value_index”: 0,
“value_instance”: 1,
“value_id”: “72057594176962561”,
“power_consumption”: 0,
“friendly_name”: “Spot Køkken Level”,
“supported_features”: 33
}

@Morten_DK thanks for that, I will check mine and compare when i get home from work myself.
Can i just confirm with you that you are changing the value for parameter 131/132 in your automation to change the dim level?
Or are you using the brightness value on the entity like i was trying?

Thanks for your time, I’d love to get this working!
Cheers

I only set parameter 131 and 132 initially and then it is the brightness that I use in automations.

Ok that’s what I was trying, using the light.turn_on service?
I posted my automation config in the initial post of this topic, is yours similar?

For via UI or at the switch I don’t have any automation, that just works. That would be the entitiy in my case called "Spot Køkken Level” in the interface, there is a corroponding “Spot Køkken Switch” but that one I never use - that is just on/off.

The automation I am using for this particular light in YAML is just a state when sunset then turn on “light.turn_on” and then the entitiy id - I don’t use input_number in my case. I can post the automation when I get home.

Is it possible to use programmable and manual brightness leveling at the same time?

While setting parameter 132 via zwave.set_config_parameter do work properly it has one negative limitation. It makes impossible to manually increase brightness value higher then parameter 132 keeps. Thus, if I need temporarily to have more light at night, I cannot do this by means of wall switch since it was decreased by automation rules.

I guess is there any solution for such task?

Hi, stupid question… where does this get changed? I’m not following.

I have my Z-stick connected and detected with the standard lines in configuration.yaml. My dimmer and linked and all working with on/off (switching off is actually a little slow). How does the dimming get configured? Why doesn’t the slider to dim not working natively?

I am not around my system right now, but you find the settings this way:
-Go to the panel on the left where you have home, maps, log etc and choose settings (or something in that direction)
-Choose z wave management ( last entry in the menu)
-Choose the z wave node you want to configure
-Choose parameter to configure and you should be good to go.

Regarding why it doesn’t work out of the box it seems to be depending on the lights. When I tested my dimmers almost all of them just worked, but others needed to be configured.

I finally got to this and dimming is now working. Thanks @Morten_DK.

Just thought I’d add that I had the same problem, but setting parameter 249 to 1 or 2 (mine was on 0) calibrates the system and everything works as expected after that.

Just want to share my solution when using a Xiaomi magic cube. Thanks to all the posts above for allowing me to get this to work.

- alias: White cube flip to toggle light
  mode: queued
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/cube'
  condition:
    - condition: template
      value_template: "{{ trigger.payload_json.action == 'flip90' }}"
  action:
    - service: light.toggle
      data:
        entity_id: light.main_bedroom_lights

- mode: queued
  alias: White cube rotate
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    platform: mqtt
    topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/cube'
  condition:
    - condition: template
      value_template: "{{ trigger.payload_json.action in ['rotate_right', 'rotate_left'] }}"
  action:
    - service: light.turn_on
      data:
        entity_id: light.main_bedroom_lights
    - service: input_number.set_value
      entity_id: input_number.main_bedroom_light_brightness
      data_template:
        value: >-
          {% if trigger.payload_json.angle | float > 0 %}{%set mylist = states("input_number.main_bedroom_light_brightness")|int + 5, 80 %}{{mylist | min}}
          {% else %}{%set mylist = states("input_number.main_bedroom_light_brightness")|int - 5, 15 %}{{mylist | max}}
          {% endif %}  

- alias: Main Bedroom - Adjust Brightness
  mode: queued
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: input_number.main_bedroom_light_brightness
  action:
    - service: zwave.set_config_parameter
      data_template:
        node_id: 5
        parameter: 132
        value: "{{ states('input_number.main_bedroom_light_brightness') | int }}"

After manually testing the lights I came up with a range of 15-80 for parameter 132. You will see I used the max and min functions above to constrain the values but I guess the limits in the input_number might do the same anyway.

input_number:
   main_bedroom_light_brightness:
     name: "Main Bedroom Downlight Brightness"
     min: 15
     max: 80

I have a few led spots, all with their own separate built in led drivers.

I got it working by setting the parameters 129 and 130 to “trailing edge mode” in the HA node parameter settings.

I set 131 to 10, as anything below that, the led spots would go black, or flicker.

Now it works brilliant :slight_smile:

Very nice with some added transition time in the automations, giving a smooth dimming :slight_smile:

I’m on zwave btw :slight_smile: