Aeotec Provided 7.20.2 Firmware for USB 700 Stick

Here’s the link to the updated article.

I have an email from Aeotec support with 7.21.0 as well. I’m debating whether to update to 7.20.2 or stick with what I have (7.18.1). Anyone else rolling with a 7.20 or later firmware that can give us some insights?

I’m on 7.19.3, haven’t noticed anything different. Things work as expected, the infamous dead node issue still present. I’m planning to update to 7.20.2 tonight. Wouldn’t mind trying 7.21.0. Could you share that e-mail and the 7.21.0 file ?

Here’s a link to 7.21.0.

Use at your own risk, I have not tested it yet.

Pertinent excerpt of email:

You can use ZWaveJS UI or PC Controller 5 to change the Z-Wave Frequency whenever you want. (The US Z-Stick 7 is optimized for US Frequency so you’ll see lower ranges in other z-wave frequencies).

I have the firmware for 7.21.0 here already i’ve attached it if you’d like to try it out as well.

Cheers,

name redacted

Field Application Engineer

Aeotec Inc.

Data provided is processed inline with Aeotec Group’s privacy policy and terms of use

1 Like

Updated to 7.20.2 this morning. A test from Shelly Wave 800 (QNSW-001X16) at 5 meters from the Aeotec Z-Pi 7 controller gives terrible results (see below). Previously on firmware 7.18 and regularly facing dead nodes.

I am a frustrated ZWave consumer spending too much time on this. IMO SiLab chips are the worst that happened to ZWave. I should have stayed on 500-series and never listened to all the 700-series BS.

3 Likes

nordic70, sorry you’re having such issues. Out of curiosity, are you using a passive USB 2.0 extension cable for your Aeotec? I’ve been on 7.18.1 for some time now, and had horrible issues initially, but once I put in the extension cable things got way better. I haven’t been seeing dead nodes in some time.

Are those European devices/frequencies? Do you have the correct frequency set for the USB device post firmware upgrade? I think it defaults to US after the upgrade?

Update on this, updated to 7.20.2 right after all the main HASS February updates came out. Things have been stable for a couple weeks now. Performance seems fine.

Still waiting on an update on test results from Aeotec before updating to 7.21.0. Maybe by that point it will be at a .1 or .2 version.

I’m on 7.21.0 and it’s terrible. Dead nodes issue , controller jammed issue and the network is now slow AF.

I have a simple automation with a zwave switch that is turning on 4 rgbw z-wave dimmer modules that used to work perfectly fine before and now it’s totally broken. Sometimes, 3 out of 4 module turns on almost instantly, the 4th one takes up to 1.5 minute to turn on or the node dies and the controller is reported as being jammed.

Im loosing fate in z-wave on home assistant. Seems like no ones care about z-wave anymore, even not SiLabs.

What HW are you on, how much RAM? I ask because there is evidence that newer version of HA and zwave are using more memory and are causing slow downs on limited memory systems. If you have less than 4GB of RAM that could be the issue.

im using an intel N5095 mini pc with 16gb ram, pretty sure this isn’t the problem but thanks for the info!

Finally an answer from SiLabs. :+1:

3 Likes

Any update on this? I’m running a Z-Wave mesh with 66 nodes (~40 powered, 26 on batteries).
I have been logging the performance of the mesh for the last month (downloaded and analysed the daily logs).
I have on average 7-8 controller jams per day (with lights not going on/off, etc.).
And I do have the Z-wave 7 stick on a 0.5 m USB cable, far away from my HA-NUC, so not much I can improve on that aspect.

Really looking forward to have the jamming issue resolved

I feel you. They unfortunately failed to deliver, and its users are getting very frustrated in their own community board:

1 Like