Aeotec quad wallmote just stopped working, not sure how to debug, what I tried

I had a Quad Wallmote working fine on my system. Today I found it had discharged it’s battery completely over the weekend. So I charged it back up. But now my automation doesn’t work anymore.

I just had button 1 press assigned to toggle an input_boolean
Which in turn controls a heater.
The input_boolean works fine in the UI.
The automation no longer works.

- id: Wallmote Button 1 Heat Toggle
    alias: 'Wallmote button 1 heat toggle'
    trigger:
      - platform: event
        event_type: zwave.scene_activated
        event_data:
          entity_id: zwave.aeotec_wallmote_quad
          scene_data: 0
          scene_id: 1
    action:
      - service: input_boolean.toggle
        data:
          entity_id: input_boolean.heat

If I test the service input_boolean.toggle with entity: input_boolean.heat. It works.

If I put the event on the bus. It works.

Nothing in the logs.
No activity in Logbook for the aeotec when I press the button.
These entries can be found after a restart of HA.

my zwcfg still has the altered entries.

<CommandClass id="91" name="COMMAND_CLASS_CENTRAL_SCENE" version="1" request_flags="5" innif="true" scenecount="0">
                                <Instance index="1" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="0" label="Scene Count" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="1" label="Button One" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="2" label="Button Two" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="3" label="Button Three" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="4" label="Button Four" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
                                <Value type="int" genre="system" instance="1" index="5" label="Other" units="" read_only="true" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="-2147483648" max="2147483647" value="0" />
</CommandClass>

I can still change configuration of the wallmote in zwave utilities. Turn on/off sounds, change color etc and that works. So I know the zwave connection is working.

So it seems the aeotec is simply not producing the event. Not sure how to solve at this point. Any ideas?

I returned my wallmote because of how poorly it behaved. Maybe it just caught up to you? The lack of physical buttons and my cold dead hands never caused the buttons to sense my touch.

Haha, Too late to return, I have had two buttons for almost a year running fine on SmartThings.
I moved one over to my new HA setup and it worked for about 2 weeks.

if i recall correctly, the device buzzed when it sensed a press. Is that still happening?

Also, check the zwave log. See if the network see’s communication from the node in question.

Yes button buzzes. Need to check logs. Away from setup now. Thanks.

OK back in front of my setup again.
OZW_Log.txt shows the activity when I press the button but action still not working.

2018-08-01 10:40:18.446 Detail, Node002,   Received: 0x01, 0x0b, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x02, 0x05, 0x5b, 0x03, 0x23, 0x00, 0x01, 0x8d
2018-08-01 10:40:18.447 Detail, 
2018-08-01 10:40:18.447 Info, Node002, Received Central Scene set from node 2: scene id=1 in 0 seconds. Sending event notification.
2018-08-01 10:40:18.448 Detail, Node002, Refreshed Value: old value=0, new value=0, type=int
2018-08-01 10:40:18.448 Detail, Node002, Changes to this value are not verified
2018-08-01 10:40:18.449 Detail, Node002, Notification: ValueChanged

Still no clue why this is broken when it used to work. It says it is sending the event. How can I monitor the events happening? There is nothing in the home_automation.log does that mean it didn’t fire the event ?

the way to monitor events is to turn on logging to ‘info’. check out the logger component:

@petro thanks I was using logger but no events were showing. I was wondering if logger lists all events.

I gave up on this issue. I removed the node and re-added it. Now the button works.

However, parameter configuration of the wallmote is now broken. So I can’t turn off the dam sound.

This Device is really not compatible with HA for some reason. It’s annoying the heck out of me.

EDIT: OK got it working. I pressed and held the button on the back. It started flashing yellow. Now it works completely.

I have the predecessor and it works great. I think they skimped out on the new one. But that’s just my opinion.

Got it working now. If it just stops working and needs to be reinstalled again that will be annoying. One thing that is nicer than SmartThings is you can remove nodes with automations in place. With SmartThings you have to tear down everything to remove/replace a node. As long as the name of the device name doesn’t change with HA you can remove and re-install and everything works. That’s nice!

Do you have the nanomote?

even if the name changes. You could do a find name in file(s)/directory and replace all with notepad++. It’s pretty easy, did it the other day when I was cleaning up my zwave names.

1 Like