Aeotec USB Z-Wave stick not working on RPi4

It looks like my RPi4 installation can’t find my Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 judging by the “Z-Wave validation failed. Is the path to the USB stick correct?” error I get when I try and perform Z-Wave set up. I’ve had a poke around the forums and all I see is what looks like technobabble to newbie like me. If I need to run raspbi-config then to enable serial ports does that mean I’m screwed?

The Aeotec does not work when plugged directly into the RbPi 4. It is a hardware issue. You need to use an USB 2 hub between.

It worked with a Pi3B, so is this a known Pi4 specific problem?

It is…https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=245031#p1502030. Edit to clarify it is a problem with the z-stick, not the RPi4, but it only affects the RPi4.

Blimey, that’s a bit shit by Aeotec. Thanks for the quick and accurate response, looks like I’ll dig out a Pi3.

If you just get a cheap crappy USB2 hub (2.0 only) and plug the stick into that it works fine on a Pi4.

So I understand. I had my Pi4 powered using PoE so everything was really tidy on the wiring side (for ‘domestic compatibility’) so adding a USB hub isn’t so attractive. It’s reassuring to have two possible solutions though.

Hmm, same problem with my Pi3B, this is getting to be a real pain

Eh.?
Did you just move your sd card (with Pi 4 Hassos on it) ?

I’ve tried to delete my last post because I just didn’t wait long enough! As for SD cards, no, you definitely need the different images for the Pi3 and Pi4 so I burned the Pi3 image.

So you are up and running now.?

I have an aeotec strick on a pi 3
I also have an everspring stick on a pi 4 direct into a USB 2 port (just if you don’t like the extra wiring and box etc (I didn’t either)) can’t do anything about the external ssd case though :sob:

Yep, up and running. I’m so grateful for your help!

Non powered hub is fine.

Oliver, I believe that this thread has run it s course and that as yor problem is solved you should mark Aggie’s post as the solution.
I was going to suggest that you change the thread title to “aeotec not working on pi 4” or something, but others may have the same problem as you and search for something akin to this title.
Happy HAing :crazy_face:

I get more and more problems with my stick.

Connect with a non powered hub to RPI4… after reboot stick is gone…
Unplug from hub and put back in again… not working
Try it 30 times and after 31 time heeee… its back again… now I can do a docker reboot homeassistant
to load everything correct again…

I get crazy about this BAD BAD stick