Aeotec Z-Stick 7

Hi All,

Looks like Aeotec are bringing out a new Z-stick powered on the 700 series Z-Wave, I just bought a 500 series z wave controller. I don’t think these have been released yet, but for others jumping in you may want to hold off.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3854

1 Like

Will it be compatible with openzwave directly?

I think it will be supported in OZW 1.7.

Interesting, when will it be available for order and will it work with HA?
I need to replace my controller Tellstick znet lite v2 because it have some heating problem.

Is It a suggestion o your sure?

1 Like

Thank you, I Will Be look

Release date?

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for about a year for them to release a Z-Stick based on the 700 chipset before I upgrade from my OG Razberry, so I figured I’d just email them and ask about availability.
They’re still working the kinks outta the software, so the Z-Stick 7 and Z-Pi 7 haven’t got a firm release date yet. And once it is initially released, it’s still gonna be a bit beta-ry.
Here’s their full response.

So for anyone holding out, it could still be quite a while and possibly not a great time when it is first released (unless you’re a dev who loves challenges)

** gets comfy in waiting chair **

1 Like

Any progress with this?

I’ve seen that Aeotec are now selling the Z-Pi 7 hat for RPi. Wondering if it’s still too early days to get this from a non-dev point of view without the skills to tinker?

I forgot to update back here, they emailed me back when they put that on popp.to
It’s mostly available to get it into the hands of the various folks that make controller software. AFAIK, there isn’t anything out there that supports it, except the SiLabs software which is very developer oriented, and some beta level stuff.
Still, progress seems to be being made. I wouldn’t mind grabbing one to fool around with, but they haven’t released a 921mhz model yet…

1 Like

Looks like it has been removed again, they must still be having issues

Nah, it’s still there. It never showed up in search on the site since it’s a dev board.

Interestingly though, there is now a listing for the Z-Stick 7 (EU and US versions, lucky buggers :joy:). It’s listed out of stock, and has the disclaimer that there is no software known to support it (aside from Z-Ware anyway, but you wouldn’t use that for a normal home setup)

Aeotec has also added both the stick and Pi to their gateway compatibility page now. Be nice to see some options in that list one day :stuck_out_tongue:

So it looks like things are inching along, bit by bit.

It should work with zwave-js.

Ooooh that’s exciting. Even though it’s a bridge controller instead of a static controller? Sweet. Now I just need them to release an AU one :slight_smile:
Also for S2 to be implemented, much more efficient messaging than S0 :3

Theoretically, you could order the Silicon Labs reference stick, and if it doesn’t arrive set to the AU region, use the PC Controller software to change the region.

Not something I’ve tried before (mine came in the appropriate US region), so I make no guarantees. :slight_smile: Of course, If you’re not up for tinkering, wait for official products.

I do love a good tinker, but maybe not in this case:

1. All my zwave products are inside walls, so unpairing and re-pairing is a pain
  2. I don’t have the amount of grasp of the zwave protocol intricacies to do a good job of it
  3. I’m not allowed to publish software so no one else would benefit from my efforts, so that’s a lot of motivation gone :joy:

After the painstaking process of upgrading my Home Assistant to a new RPI4, I found out the hard way that my Aeotec z-stick Gen5 does not work properly with the RPI4.
It comes to my understanding that using a USB 2.0 hub is a valid workaround, but that just a hassle to have more stuff hung on my RPI4.

In the meantime I came upon this new Aeotec z-stick 7. By looking at the differences between this stick and the Gen5+ (https://aeotec.com/z-wave-usb-stick/z-stick-7-vs-z-stick-gen5.html) I don’t see any major advantage of the 7 series vs gen5+, specially considering that the latest one (7 series) has a considerable reduction on its range both indoor and outdoor.

Having said that, why would someone go for the 7 series?

Once there are more zwave devices out there on the zwave 700 chipset, battery life boost from using a 700 network will be a big deal.

It’s a bunch faster using Security, but again only for devices with 700 chips in them.

Range should be better for 700 chip devices, but no different for 500 and below devices.
700 chipsets can also handle more hops between devices on the mesh, so having a shorter range controller doesn’t matter so much of you have a few mains powered zwave devices around.

So if all the devices you are going to use them with are also 700 series zwave devices, the Z-Stick 7 is the way to go, otherwise the 5+ all the way.

There is a mod you can do to existing Z-Stick 5s to make them work with Pi 4s depending how comfortable with wiring and soldering you are. It didn’t look too difficult if you are down to try make the one you have usable :blush:

Can’t remember what thread exactly I saw it, but it was in these forums

1 Like

I already saw such tutorial (not sure if it is the one in this forum or in another forum), but given my (not so) precise skills in soldering, bricking the z-stick would be the most certain outcome :slight_smile:

I guess I’ll go for a Gen5+ when I find it available somewhere else other than in popp.to. In the meantime my RPI3b will have to work for another season :slight_smile: