Aeotec Z-Stick 7

Hi. I am a new user of z-wave and I would like to use it for Home Assistant. I have purchased an Aeotec Z-stick 7 to use it as a Z-wave gateway for all my z-wave device. I have installed tha HA on an RPI4 and it recognizes the device but security and z-wave plus protocol shows as disabled. I can add or remove z-wave device but only without security. However the datasheet claims it supports S2 security and z-wave plus also. I have checked the firmwave of the stick and it looks like it was 7.11 version. I have found in other topics that a FW upgrade is needed for this to 7.15 version. I could successfully upgrade it to 7.15 via Simplicity Studio. However it has not really changed anything regarding to Security. It still shows Security Disabled. I have tried to reinstall HA from scratch on the RPI4 but it has not changed anything.

I am running these on the RPI4. core-2021.11.5, supervisor-2021.10.8, ZST10-700 stick by Silicon Labs Firmware: 7.15

Have you got any idea how this issue can be fixed?

Hi, the stick itself show Secure: No - see my post above. Also, not all devices support S2 Security. Can you name a few devices of your Z-Wave setup. Sometimes they also have different routines to trigger secure implementation.

All of the included z-wave devices shows as not secure. But here are some examples:
Aeotec Temperature and Humidity Sensor (ZWA039)

Fibaro Wall Plug (FGWP102)

Zipato Smart Bulb 2 (RGBWE2)

My understanding is that each of these device should support some kind of security. I do not know if the stick itself is insecure any other device can be configured as secure. In the Z-wave JS menu Security shows disabled for all of them. Z-wave Plus shows disabled for the Stick only. All the other unit show either 1 or 2 in this section.

The “Secure” field for the USB controller does not mean anything. You can ignore it. All 700-series controllers support S2 security.

The Aeotec supports S2. Only some versions of the Fibaro wall plug support S2, you’ll need to be more specific. The Zipato bulb only supports S0. You don’t want to use use S0 for anything that doesn’t require it because it’s very slow.

When you include a device it will attempt to use S2 if supported. If that inclusion fails for some reason, you’ll get a warning about Low Security. Did you see such a warning? If that happens you need to exclude and try including again.

Yes, I have seen such a warning message regarding Low Security. No matter if I exclude and include again. Everything runs without security. :frowning:

I have added an Aeotec Range Extender 7 to the network and I was able to Switch on S2 Security for this device. I have excluded my Temp Sensor and reincluded again via the Range Extender and was able to succesfully add S2 Security to it. :slight_smile: The weird thing why was it unsuccessfull via the Aeotec stick itself. No one knows… After some research I have found the Fibaro Wall plug and the Zipato bulb ineed does not support S2 Security so it is normal they show as unsecure devices. All seems to be working as expected. Thanks for the replies.

As it’s now June 2022, what do those with the Z-stick 7 think about the quality, reliability, and usefulness of the 700 series controller?

Is it worth the upgrade now from a 500 series device?

Stick with the 500, the 7 still has some bugs.

3 Likes

Just looking at buying a dongle for Zwave - was going to go Aeotec Gen5 then realised there’s a new standard and the 700 is out

If buying now, seems I should go 700 to future proof? If so, why is the Aeotec 3 times the price of the Silicon Labs UZB-7 USB Stick (which is also supported) - any reason not to just get that one?

Can’t directly answer your question about comparison, but I have the UZB-7 (updated to the latest firmware) and it works perfectly.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s pretty much sealed it then… I’m not one to spend more than I need to do long as one I get is solid :rofl:

I recall that Zwave uses different bands in different locations, does the UZB7 adapt or do I need to make sure I buy from the right region?

I don’t think it has any special adaptive ability; I would err on the side of buying for your specific region.

You can switch region via software, but the antenna won’t be optimized for the frequency.

1 Like

Oh~ this is interesting. Could anyone point me to the direction on how we could do this?

Use zwavejs2mqtt.

I thought the bugs have been sorted? I’m about to buy one, and the Gen5+ from Aeotec is only €3 cheaper than the 7. Still advise to get the Gen5+?

I can’t really find a definitive answer on that, but I guess that’s the story with IT :smiley:

The SDK (firmware) bugs have mostly been fixed, but there is some evidence that the Z-Stick 7 specifically might not offer optimum range.

Hmm, so your advice it to go for the 5+ I guess for now? Max distance (with walls) that I need is about 40m to my furthest client., and that’s not considering the mesh.

For me, the range/signal strength with Gen5+ has been much better.

I recently changed Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 with Aeotec Z-Stick 7 USB stick. I’m trying to pair my existing devices but no luck. I’ve FIBARO MOTION SENSOR FGMS-001, fibaro door sensor 2 and yale z-wave module 2. None of these are pairing. I’ve tried resetting them as well. Does anyone know if they are compatible?