Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 lost after every host reboot

I’m using an Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 USB stick to connect to my Z-Wave network.
I configured OpenZWave with the following path: device: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00
The problem I am facing now is that after every reboot of the host system this particular device is not seen (Host System -> Hardware: device is not listed there).

When I physically un- and replug the stick it is listed there. OpenZWave then starts to work after rebooting Home Assistant (not the host).

Could be related to *Sticky?* Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 - Raspberry Pi4, but this is still weird, as the stick works (and continues to work) until I reboot the host.
Was previously running on raspbian with openhab and never had said issue.

HW: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB)
SW: HassOS 4.17, Supervisor 2020.11.0, Core 0.118

Sounds like you might need the mod

These sticks are known to have issues with usb on the pi4

The mod has no negative effects at all so I say go for it and report back

Ok, so I’m going to try to keep my hands steady as not to fry the whole thing :slight_smile:
Will report back as soon as I’m done, thanks

Finally did it; the stick was found after each of my 2 test reboots - seems to be fine, thanks!

That’s brilliant news :+1:

Can you please share the mod? I’m having the same problem with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (I think).

The Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 USB device isn’t seen at boot.
It shows up if I unplug and plug it back in again.

I ended up compiling usbreset.c from here: https://gist.github.com/x2q/5124616

Then found a short bash script to run it to reset the entire USB bus before I start my zwave2mqtt service using ExecStartPre=/root/usbreset/resetusb.sh in my systemd definition.

#!/bin/bash

USBNAME=0424:9514 #Put here the usb ID
LSUSB=$(lsusb | grep --ignore-case $USBNAME)
FOLD="/dev/bus/usb/"$(echo $LSUSB | cut --delimiter=' ' --fields='2')"/"$(echo $LSUSB | cut --delimiter=' ' --fields='4' | tr --delete ":")
echo $LSUSB
echo $FOLD
sudo /root/usbreset/usbreset $FOLD; #The path where you have the usbreset executable

This is working, but it’s a hack.

Answering my own question. The mod was actually posted earlier in this thread.

My solution works, so it might be an alternate for those who don’t do hardware mods.

I have the same problem on a NUC. Have to power down the PC before it comes back.