Aeotec Z-stick gen5+ range

After running Home assistant on a Pi3b for a few years, I recently upgraded to a Pi4, and stumbled across the issue with the Aeotec z-stick not working with the Pi4. I decided the easiest solution to be the purchase of a new Aeotec z-stick gen 5+ that was Pi4 compatible.

On installing the new z-stick, I had all sorts of issues getting it to talk to my z-wave devices, which include a Aeotec Multisensor 6 (run on mains power), an Aeotec Heavy Duty smart switch, as well as various light bulbs. The only way I could get them all to work was to move the location of where my Pi was installed - it was then able to communicate with all of my z-wave devices.

Once I had it all up and running, I decided to try to move the Pi back to my data cabinet (where the Pi3 had been running without issue), but as soon as I did this, again the z-wave devices would not communicate.

I have tried speaking to Vesternet (where I purchased the z-stick from) regarding the issue, but whilst they answer the phone soon enough, apparently their technical people do not speak on the phone. When I started a chat session with them via their website, all they offered was to swap out the device, without even asking what the issue really was. When the new z-stick arrived, it works the same - fine when within about 5 meters of the other devices, but any more and it looses communication.

My current conclusion from the testing that I have carried out is that the newer Pi4 compatible z-sticks do not have anywhere near the same range as the previous z-sticks, despite the advertising saying that they have a greater range.

My question here is are others experiencing the same issues as me, and does anyone have either a resolve, or ideas of how to do more thorough testing to prove / disprove my current findings.

At present, I am not that happy with the time I have spent trying to get this to work, so suggestions of which Pi 4 compatible z-wave controllers may be better than the Aeotec z-stick would also be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I use an Aeotech Gen5 USB stick plugged into a Synology within a glass-fronted data cabinet without any issues at all. I seem to remember reading about someone having to use a USB extension cable to move the stick a short distance away from the PI so that’s something you might like to try.

USB 3 ports have become notorious for splattering EMI (electromagnetic interference) everywhere. Try using a USB 2 port.

Thank you for your reply. I had always wondered about the problems associated with having equipment in a metal cabinet, but until now the equipment (and wifi router etc.) had always worked fine. I have already tried with a usb extension cable hanging out of the cabinet, but this has not made any difference that I could detect.

I hadn’t thought about issues around USB 2 or 3, but having just checked, I have (by accident) got it plugged into a USB2 port. I will try swapping things about to see if there are any changes though - thank you.

Hi Maringos,
I have the same problem. Bought Aeotec stick gen5+ and two eurotronic z-wave spirit plus valves. The valve which is in the next room is loosing connection to it. It is concrete walls and we have some mirrors but still it is hard to imagine 150 m of range as they say. Also I have noticed that in HA shows Z-Wave Plus: No… I use it with Pi3B+How does it shows in your case. Did you figure out solution for the range problem?
Greetings.

I have a Gen5 stick plugged in to my Pi3b - my ZWave network is healthy and spans 2 buildings. The secret is to have a mains powered device reasonably close to the stick. (And also a pretty much a mains powered device in every room of the building). Got some good deals on Vesternet on Domitech ZWave bulbs, which significantly increased the stability of the network.
Communication to the WHOLE of the house, goes via a Domitech light bulb in the room next to the server room, and communication with the lower floor of the house, goes via another Domitech bulb on top of a bookcase at the bottom of the stairs, which talks to the one in the spare room (next to the Server room).

On the theatre side, there is a Domitech bulb in the room below the server room, and several Greenwave power sockets.

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

My solution so far is simply to put the z-stick on a fairly long USB cable - this is keeping it out of the way of the data cabinet, and any forms of interference, whilst at the same time bringing it closer to and in line with a door, rather than going through a brick wall. This seems to have boosted things enough to work.

I also try to use as many mains powered devices as possible, and also have a Domitech bulb, as well as others. I guess as I add more mains powered devices the network will improve, and will maybe be able to plug the USB stick back into the Pi4 directly.

But with all of this, it doesn’t really answer the question as to why (in my case) that the later z-stick seems to have less range compared to the earlier version.

My Device Info shows as follows:

Device info

ZW090
by AEON Labs
Firmware: 1.1

Z-Wave Info

Device ID: 1
Device Status: Alive
Device Ready: Yes
Highest Security: Unknown
Z-Wave Plus: No

I am not sure why it should be showing as not being Z-Wave Plus, or how I could change this, or if it will make a difference - any ideas would be most welcome.