Aeotec ZWA039 aerQ sensor temperature never changes in ZWave JS UI

I have a ZWA039-A aerQ Sensor connected to the Home Assistant / Z-Wave JS UI via Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+. The Home assistant tells me the sensor firmware version is 2.1.1
The humidity is updating as expected, but the temperature is stuck on the same reading after changing several times initially.
I have changed Param 4 to 1800, and Param 64 to Celsius.

For troubleshooting I have added large negative values to both temperature and humidity (Params 14 and 15). The humidiy reading jumps as expected, the temperature stays stuck on 25.8’C.

Home assistant 2023.3.1
Supervisor 2023.03.1
Operating System 9.5
Frontend 20230302.0 - latest

I have returned my first sensor to Amazon, but the second sensor behaves the same.

Any ideas?

Try setting parameter 1 to 1?

No change, the temperature reading is still stuck. Moved the sensor outside, so the change was a lot more than 0.1’C.

just a reference, my fine working settings:

Does it update the value when you hit refresh? Are you waking your device up every time you change a value? Is it properly included with the appropriate security. My guess is that its an association issue. Associations are what actually control what messages a device sends and where it sends them too. After looking at the devices association capabilities I can see that it has an association specifically for temperature reporting.Try adding your controller to the association group for temperature reporting and see if it updates.

There are (8) steps to add your controller to an association group.

1. Click on your node in the node list of the ZWaveJS UI to view all of its setting
  2. Click the groups tab to view all of the configured associations for that device
  3. Click add. once you do this a dialogue box will pop up
  4. For the node endpoint option select root endpoint or whatever option there is.
  5. For the group option select the group name Temperature or Group 6 if there are no names listed
  6. Once you do this a new menu option will appear asking you to select the target node. The target node is the node you want to report temperature updates to. Set it to the NODE ID of the controller. Mines is 1 so that’s what I set.
  7. Click add. Once you do this the command will get stored in the queue until the device wakes up.
  8. Wake-up the device. Once you do this you should hit refresh and see the new updated association list. If you don’t see the new entry you may have to repeat the process but make sure your device is awake when you hit add.

Thank you both for replies. The settings pretty much match mine.

The instructions took me to a whole new area, I very much appreciate it. After going through the instructions I ended up with the second line:
Does it look correct? Unfortunately I still don’t see the temperature changing.

Yes you set it up correctly. I would have thought that would have fixed it. The only thing I can think that would fix it is to Re-interview your device and make sure you check the box to reset the security classes or try re-including it. Also does the temperature stay the same for the entity that’s created in the Z-Wave JS integration? Maybe its just not updating in the UI but you are recieving the messages from the device. You can verify this by going to events tool under that node in the ZWave JS user interface.

Also I looked up the firmware for the device and according to this Update ZWA039 aerQ Sensor V2.03 : Aeotec Help Desk the latest firmware is 2.03. I would try updating the firmware anyway and see if that fixes it.

My sensors show firmware 2.1.1 in ZwaveJS

Confusing again… :wink:

Z-Wave JS 2.1.1 should equal Aeotec 2.01.

Z-Wave JS does not pad the version numbers with 0, and shows additional version information.

1 Like

Cornell, thank you very much, the reinterview solved the problem!
I did not see any temperature messages before the re-interview.
I still have to investigate the firmware update, the 2.1.1 vs. 2.03 is certainly confusing.
Here is the current log:

Thanks again, Pavel

I will try the firmware update. Thanks!
The numbering is certainly confusing.

So I have updated the firmware to 2.03. The Z-wave JS UI shows it as 2.3.1.
The good news is that the temperature still seems to be working,
but the unfortunate side effect is that the battery level went from 100% to 20%.
Curiously the Low battery level shows Normal and the Replace battery now is also Normal.