After power outage many zwave devices are marked dead, but will update gui when used manually

I had a power outage and when everything came up I’m having issues with most of my zwave devices, 8 blinds and all GE light switches. Zigbee seems fine and I have lots of smart things zwave sensors that are working fine. I’ve tried reseating the zwave dongle and doing a heal on the zwave network.

If I use a GE zwave light switch it will be seen by the dashboard but if I try to turn on or off with the dashboard I get the log message below. If I use the switch again it appears to be functional by HA but I get the same error even though the dashboard will update with the status of the light on or off. I can’t control any of these zwave devices with dashboard but I can manually. If I delete and add device again I get the same issue.

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/zwave_js/cover.py:156
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 3:48:21 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 3:48:21 PM

[548150427168] Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the command after 3 attempts (Status Fail) (ZW0202)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py”, line 190, in handle_call_service
await hass.services.async_call(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1630, in async_call
task.result()
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1667, in _execute_service
await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py”, line 204, in handle_service
await self.hass.helpers.service.entity_service_call(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 668, in entity_service_call
future.result() # pop exception if have
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 921, in async_request_call
await coro
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 705, in _handle_entity_call
await result
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/cover.py”, line 156, in async_close_cover
await self.info.node.async_set_value(target_value, 0)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node.py”, line 478, in async_set_value
result = await self.async_send_command(
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node.py”, line 435, in async_send_command
result = await self.client.async_send_command(message, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/client.py”, line 103, in async_send_command
return await future
zwave_js_server.exceptions.FailedZWaveCommand: Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the command after 3 attempts (Status Fail) (ZW0202)

I’ve tried upgrading to current and that didn’t help, may have made it worse… I used to be able to control the 3 blinds that are initially seen but not after upgrades. I also restored down to the last backup and that didn’t help, I’m having the same issue. I’m now restoring back to latest, may as well but I need to get this working and hope I don’t have to redo all of my automations for all of these devices…
Home Assistant 2022.10.1 Supervisor 2022.09.1 Operating System 9.0 Frontend 20221006.0 - latest.

This is the warning message in the info tab for a light is, “This entity is no longer being provided by the zwave_js integration. If the entity is no longer in use, delete it in settings.”
The message in the log in the same window is… " became unavailable triggered by service switch.turn_on"

9:10:46 AM - 6 hours ago - xxx

Any help is appreciated as I don’t even seem to be able to start over and add the devices.

Thanks in advance,
Troy

Try physically unplugging and re-plugging the USB stick, then restart the zwave-js application (add-on if you’re using that).

https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/troubleshooting/connectivity-issues?id=problems-communicating-with-the-stick

I unplugged/plugged the stick and rebooted and same issue…

The part that gets me is that if I physically turn the light on or off it will update on the dashboard and look functional from the dashboard, but as soon as I try to use HA to turn on or off I get the following message…

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/zwave_js/switch.py:85
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 1:27:21 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:27:21 PM

[547553455184] Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the command after 3 attempts (Status Fail) (ZW0202)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py”, line 202, in handle_call_service
await hass.services.async_call(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1738, in async_call
task.result()
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py”, line 1775, in _execute_service
await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py”, line 207, in handle_service
await service.entity_service_call(
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 678, in entity_service_call
future.result() # pop exception if have
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py”, line 931, in async_request_call
await coro
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py”, line 715, in _handle_entity_call
await result
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/switch.py”, line 85, in async_turn_off
await self.info.node.async_set_value(self._target_value, False)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node/init.py”, line 473, in async_set_value
result = await self.async_send_command(
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node/init.py”, line 430, in async_send_command
result = await self.client.async_send_command(message, **kwargs)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zwave_js_server/client.py”, line 116, in async_send_command
return await future
zwave_js_server.exceptions.FailedZWaveCommand: Z-Wave error 202: Failed to send the command after 3 attempts (Status Fail) (ZW0202)

Here’s an example of one of my zwave blinds, it updates when I open or close manually, then becomes unavailable. The Status: Dead, and Ready:Yes. How can it be ready and dead? …and why does the status open/closed update then become unavailable??

Save thing with the light switches…

This is what I get if I try a re-interview of the device… It looks like it starts to interview the devices, then fails immediately.

Here’s the zwave log for this where you can see it received the protocol info from the device, then fails…

What the heck!?

How do I change the log level to debug??

Thanks!

When the device has been interviewed completely and all metadata is known, it is ready to be used, hence the “Ready: Yes” value. It means an application can assume all information about the device is available. It’s generally a static value, once discovered completely it will almost always be Ready.

Status reflects the current state of the device, whether it’s alive, dead, or sleeping.

HA makes the entities unavailable when the device is dead. This is used as an indicator that the device is dead. You can use the Ping button or service to try and restore it to Alive. If you control the device physically and it sends a command to the controller, the driver will then mark it as Alive. It is marked Dead any time the controller fails to receive an acknowledgement for 3 command retries.

Use the Log window in the integration configuration.

Thanks Freshcoast, found it. Was expecting it to be in the main logs area under system.

So… Now I’m just trying to remove a blind so see if I can re-add it. I first tried to remove the device with the exclusion process, that never say the device. Next I tried to Remove a Failed Z-Wave Device and that also fails because the node is not in the list of failed nodes…
removeFailed

So… a re-interview fails, a remove fails, a remove of a failed device fails and just trying to add the device also fails.

I’ll add that for 2 blinds I added them back to the zwave controller they shipped with and that works just fine. It feels like the zwave DB is corrupted and I just can’t do anything with these devices. Restoring back to before all of this 3 months ago didn’t help, loading the latest builds of OS and HA didn’t help. What can I do to get this working again??

Also adding that now after more than 24 hours a zwave heal is still running.

I’ve tried the following…
Zwave heal
Ping
removing and reseating the zwave stick, and usb extension cable
restoring to a known good image
appying all new fixes, patches to get OS and HA to current levels as of last Friday 11/7/22
Re-interview
Removing device
removing a failed device
adding a new device
I’ve taken 2 of the blinds and paired them with the zwave controls they shipped with and they work just fine.
Tried adding those 2 blinds to HA
NOTHING has helped.

What do you recommend? I have lots of other zwave devices that are functioning fine so the stick is communicating but this is 2 specific types of devices, all my GE zwave in wall light switches and all of my blinds, all other zwave devices are functioning.

Any help resolving this is greatly appreciated!

Was your HASS system / stick on a UPS or did it fail when the power went out?

Have you tried removing power from everything - HASS, stick, usb hub, etc. and then restarting?

If you remove power from one of the zwave powered devices and restore power (flip a breaker) does it come back online?

Hey - Were you ever able to figure out how to fix this? I have what seems to be literally the same problem. Had a power outage and all my GE light switches (9 of them) are all showing dead now. I’ve tried just about everything I could think of to bring them back including resetting my zwave stick and rediscovering.

I’m starting to wonder if something happened to the switches… I think next step is to figure out a way to communicate with them outside of zwave-js-ui. Try to validate that they are in fact working or not.

I just had the same thing happen to me last night where we had a power outage and all of my devices showed as dead in the Z-Wave JS UI once the power came back on. Interestingly, it appeared that if I controlled them manually on the device they would suddenly show as alive, but controlling through Home Assistant they would die again. In order to get them functional (these are all the GE/Jasco light switches along with some Z-wave shades) I had to go into each individual device, go to the Advanced section, and re-interview each node. That worked and everything has been functioning again. Highly annoying as coming from SmartThings nothing like that ever had to happen especially with Z-wave devices.

Interestingly only battery powered devices (such as contact sensors) did not require this step.

Get a UPS, their inexpensive and save a lot of hassle.

same question back to you :slight_smile:
Did you get this fixed? I tried all of the steps from @colotroy (post #8) with no change.

Same here. PC is on a ups but after a quick lightning power flicker, zwave devices go dead when trying to control them.

Most issues here seem to be unresolved. We had a quick power outage today and my zwave js interface is not working at all. Tried a reboot of the OS, physically unplugging zwave stick, restoring from last night’s backup.
Unsure what else I can try - any other ideas?

Looks like in my case, the power outage / restart caused the official z-wave add on to ‘reinstall’, causing an issue with the port as per: Z-Wave JS UI Driver: Failed to open the serial port Cannot lock port (ZW0100) - #7 by MarkWalsh

I think in my case, an extra complication was the fact I have also recently installed a zigbee dongle as well.

I had a problem like this. My UPS failed in the middle of the night. My Home Assistant OS (x86) box was powered off for several hours while all of my Z-Wave devices looked around worriedly for their leader.

I powered up the HassOS box and I could see the battery-powered Z-Wave devices were working without any problems, but nothing that ran on mains power was working correctly. I could see devices changing states on their respective Device pages in Home Assistant, but all of the actual entities were dead.

I rebooted HassOS several times after powering it up. I turned breakers on and off to power cycle my Z-Wave light switches. I unplugged my Z-Wave thermostat, took the batteries out, and plugged it back in. No change.

I unplugged the USB Z-Wave dongle (a Z-Wave.me unit iirc) and plugged it back in. Everything immediately returned to normal.