AI Motion Template Sensor using Reolink cameras

I was tired of getting woken up in the middle of the night by Home Assistant when my Reolink cameras would detect a person outside due to false positives. What I noticed is that these AI person detections would rarely if ever coincide with a motion event. Also, I wanted a way for my indoor cameras to be used as motion sensors for lighting control. However, I didn’t want the motion of my dog to set them off, so person detection was important. However, unless the person is fully visible and moving like a person (vs just sitting there), the person detection wouldn’t trigger. However, motion would frequently trigger. This meant that a person coming into the room would trigger the lights to be turned on, but it wouldn’t be sustained, and I’d have to rely on motion events to keep the lights on.

As such I built this template sensor which is easy to adjust for your specific AI and motion sensors.

markaggar/AI-Motion: Home Assistant Template Sensor for Cameras with AI and Motion to prevent false positives and sustain the detection time if repeated motion is detected (github.com)