Aiphone intercom

I’ve recently been going down the rabbit-hole of automating my GT-1A - I’ve even spoken to aiphone about the doctor call hoping to enable and disable it in a non-destructive way via a wifi enabled relay solely on the options connector.

The building does not need to be setup centrally for doctor call - it’s entirely handled on the tenant station.

I was able to enable my doctor call but it requires both methods mentioned in the manual:

1. shorting the bottom pins on the options connector,
  2. while maintaining the short, pressing the bell button and the talk button at the same time.

releasing the short does not disable the mode, you must short and press the two buttons again to disable. The tenant station still rings in doctor mode - supposedly it can be answered but I haven’t tested.

So regardless, automating will require wiring directly to buttons annoyingly - I’ll update here if I bother to find a simpler solution

Awesome! Could you please clarify what doctor mode does or is supposed to do in the first place? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I remembered looking at that option as well when I was making mine smart too but just ended up soldering directly to the buttons

it’s automatic entry, so by calling the unit number with it enabled will automatically buzz someone in.

image of section in manual from another comment above:

Oh wow, so cool! In my case, I have the GT-1M3-L, and what I hate about it is opening the door without a call. With no call, the door button just turns on the screen. To open the door you have to press door, wait for the screen to load, then press talk, then wait again for a sec and press door again. This takes 7 seconds, so there’s a long delay waiting for the door to open. It would be nice to skip this big open-door dance , but doctor mode in my case would be too lax and take away my discretion.

I just wanted to share something really cool that I found out about and made. When I saw these posts before, I was just starting to fall down this and many other smart home/home assistant rabbit holes. I knew some basic electronics, learned some soldering skills and soldered some wires to the Door and Talk buttons on this intercom. I then used a store bought sonoff relay module to trigger these buttons in Home assistant with automations. It worked very pretty flawlessly and I’ve been using it for a year. I have since then made several Wemos D1 based projects and found out about optocouplers. These work just like relays but are teeny in comparison. They’re so small, I hot glued two of them onto the D1 board without increasing it’s overall dimensions. These are much better suited for pressing device buttons. I’m also using a similar setup for remote starting/resetting my desktop PC. A cool trick I realized is both buttons use the same ground, so you just need to connect 3 wires. The positive from each button and one ground. Same goes for the wemost connections, 2 gpio pins and one ground going to both optocouplers. I know the soldering looks sloppy, but it’s sturdy, it works, and best of all it’s teeny tiny. Probably 1/8 the size of the sonoff 2 relay device. Also, a 50 pack of optocouplers cost like $6! let’s only use blue relays for AC power from now on lol.

2 Likes

Awesome! Can you share your schematic for it?

Who/what are you asking a schematic for?