Air Quality sensor hardware advice

Hey everyone,
I am looking to add an air quality sensor to my living room.
I am currently between:

• Broadlink A1 (for ~25€), which is wifi based and monitors temperature, humidity, air_quality, light and noise but i read it presents some out of the ordinary readings (like 200+ C temperatures)
  • An SPS30 (for ~45 €) which i’ll hook up to an esphome and is a dedicated air quality monitor.

Could anyone share their experience and steer me between these two? or perhaps suggest any alternatives?
If there’s any Zigbee sensor implemented through ZHA I could look into that too.

Thank you in advance.

I have PMS5003 sensor with tasmota on esp32. PMS5003 cost me £11

I find it at around €25 here, including some extra connection cable. Plus its out of stock :slight_smile:

I have the same setup with a PMS5003 and it works good (I used a D1 mini though).
This Reddit post has some good links and code in it if you go this route.

I just recently ordered a second PMS5003 from Ali Express and got it in <1 week in the US. Might want to try there too.

Sounds like you are more interested in particulate measurements, but just as a FYI this new CO2 device looks interesting:

1 Like

Nice… but… I dont get ihow this thing can detect that the stove was on? smoke particles?

I’m open to anything of this type of sensors, Increase security and air quality.
This specific one is out of my pricerange i think tho, since i already have fire alarms in the kitchen through my alarm system.

I did not see that your interest what to detect stove emissions. I don’t think CO2 would help for that use case, maybe CO. On the safety aspect, I have been looking for a reliable ‘someone left the stove on’ safety solution for a while, I have looks a esp devices with flame sensors and similar, but was not really plused with what I came up with. I currently have the following combo which is getting closer:

I have a bluetooth temperature sensor in the hood of the stove, and a second one that measures the ambient temperature in the kitchen area. I have an HA automation that measure the delta between these two and alerts when the difference is greater than a set amount for a length of time.

Second I have a Shelly natural gas sensor in the hood of the stove as well.

This combo seems to work pretty well in the tests I have run. FYI.

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of my setup using a PMS5003.You can see from the graph that I burned some pizza in the oven the other day. It picked it up relatively fast considering its a moving average value.

1 Like

CO2 sensors do not overlap in purpose with smoke detectors OR carbon monoxide detectors.

The purpose of the CO2 sensor is 2-fold.
To detect, by the rate of drop and average level, how well the ventilation system is clearing the air once the room becomes unoccupied.
To determine if respiration by humans or pets, in a room that may not be well ventilated, may pose either a nuisance or a hazard, as elevated CO2 in a room with ventilation causes issues ranging from headaches to neurological impairment. In an non-ventilated room it can kill you.

The trends and levels of the sensor can also be used for extremely accurate presence detection, and the more of those sensors in the house the more accurate it can be.

Using a combination VOC/PM/CO2 sensor, I have been able to determine some unusual things, like being able to detect when someone pours a can of coke into a cup, microwaves bacon, drinks alcohol, or even puts lotion on their skin, as they all have slightly different combinations of readings, and they are all surprisingly consistent.

What I have found for actual air quality and human comfort is as follows:

Humidity: very important in the winter/dry season, if its too low you get static cling/shocks, bloody noses, cracked skin, etc. If it drops too low you can be notified to check the water level on a dumb humidifier.

Temperature: sudden increases in certain rooms at certain times of day due to sun exposure that is not quickly detected by the main thermostat, the additional sensor can trigger aircon earlier than the thermostat for comfort reasons. Can also alert to potential failure of heating and aircon systems if the house average starts to trend for an extended period at a high rate while outside of the comfort threshold range.

VOC: Not worthless, but there are many benign things that trigger it, like food and drinks. Can detect chemical leaks if it goes up but then does not go down quickly, extremely sensitive to ethanol fumes. A very small chem leak in my garage made the livingroom sensor go from 100pb to 60000ppb in the course of a few hours.

PM: has not been helpful in general for quality since I am in a more rural area, but on occasion if I have the window open and a neighbor is burning something ( or fireworks ) will give useful data. Some foods, especially greasy foods that sizzle in a frying pan or microwave will make it go crazy. It can also detect food burning in a way that a smoke detector may not, especially ceiling mounted detectors that are designed to reduce nuisance alarms, since the dense oil type smoke from frying food tends to stay lower to the ground.

CO2: Notes as above, has been the most useful as consistently high levels indicate poor room ventilation or house air exchange with fresh air.

13 Likes

Most detailed explanation w/examples I’ve read on a subject for quite some time.
Keep writing things Richie. 10/10

1 Like

I will give it a try with this one: LoraWanDustSensor - RevSpace
Lora as i’d like to run this outside in the desert from battery via Lora

I am using PurpleAir sensors (one inside and one outside). My main use case is to start the HVAC system in order to filter smoke particles during wildfire season in SoCal. To do that I need the delta between the two.

One other change I made based on them was to switch our humidifiers from tap to distilled water, because I could see high particle increases from what I guess is the calcium and magnesium in tap water.

Hi can I ask what hardware you use?

If you have an ERV, it’s probably a good idea to also shut it down when you have severe wildfire soot in the air unless you have a way to clean it easy. We have MERV 13 filters on all our air handlers, but the ERV doesn’t have a filter on outside air.