Airtouch 5 Integration (Aus)

Ian, I have had a look and you appear to be doing the same as I did. I’m using a recent version of home assistant are you using an up to date version?

Download your full log and you should see something like this:
[homeassistant.loader] We found a custom integration airtouch5 which has not been tested by Home Assistant

Otherwise check if there are any errors relating to airtouch5

ah - thnkyou. I always forget to look in the logs, and they often have usefull stuff to tell me - like this time.

I had missed the comma off the end of line 9 in manifest.json !

Thankyou for mentioning the “IP address when asked”, because it pops-up a window with no indication of what it is wanting!

All good - got it working (although I would loved to have power information (eg kW, kWh), but maybe it is just not there to be made available.

It’s definitely not there to be made available, unfortunately - the AirTouch API is really basic…

Thanks! this worked for me :slight_smile:
It is very basic, when the official integration is released will it be the same?

Is there an ETA for the official version. I’d rather wait if not too far off.

Thanks for the instructions - I have the integration working well with my AirTouch 5 system.

One question I have which is more of a general HA question, but still related to this - does anyone know how to extract the temperature of the zones into their own sensors? I have AirTouch temp sensors in each room, giving me 8 zones total. And with this integration, each room gets its own “Climate” sensor which displays the current temperature and provides controls for that zone. But I’d also just like a dumb temperature sensor to be displayed in HA for each room. Not sure if that makes sense?

I know what you mean. I have 2 sensors and would like to do the same. Make sure the answer is posted here (if the answer doesn’t come from here :slight_smile: )

Answering my own question… I created 8 of the following sensors to match the names of my rooms.

template:
  - sensor:
    - name: "Main bedroom temperature"
      unit_of_measurement: "°C"
      state: "{{ state_attr('climate.main', 'current_temperature') }}"

Excellent, I have got the same working (although written differently).
Next question - I’d like to just get the fan on/off state for each zone. When viewed in Developer Tools / States, I see:

Entity State Attributes
climate.study fan_only lots of stuff

My question is, what sort of code do I use to extract the “fan_only” state ?
(Thanks to Stuart, I can successfully extract attributes - but don’t know how to extract the main state)

• and I blundered-around until I solved my own question too:
      family_room_state:
        friendly_name: 'Family Room On/Off'
        value_template: "{{ states('climate.kitch_family') }}"

I’m interested in this too, but I’m curious to hear if your system works the same as mine at the moment… Each of my zones has a temperature sensor and there’s a damper in the ducting that controls the air flow to the zone. This means that each zone only reports “fan_only” or “off” as the modes of operation, and only the main heat-pump unit reports the actual mode of operation (e.g. heat, cool, auto, etc). But if the zone was turned on when the heat-pump was turned off, then the zone continues to report “fan_only” instead of “off”. So to get the true operation state of a zone, I need to combine both the state of the main heat-pump unit with the state of the zone - I can’t just rely on the state of the zone to determine if the heat-pump is actually on or not.

Wondering if I need to create a bunch more template sensors so I can better report on the actual operation of a zone…?

1 Like

The zones should just read a simple zone on or zone off, I don’t know why these integrations show as fan on as it isn’t correct and misleading.

The zones and the main unit are two seperate things.
The zones can always be turned on and off independently of what the main system is doing.

I would be adding a additional icon to each zone that changes colour when the main system itself is on.
This makes it clear to see that the zone is on but the system is off.

Things do get a little bit more complicated with the new Airtouch 5 sensors as they can also be used to start stop the main unit if they are configured that way.
Besides the sensors controlling the dampers they are used to determine when the main system will start and stop if they are setup properly.

The Airtouch should be set to use the controller sensor as economy or auto, I’d check this as most installers just leave it at AC which does not offer the best control of the system and functionality of the sensors.

1 Like

I presume the zone dampers remain in the position they were set to when the aircon is turned-off, so reporting them open (to an unknown percentage) when the A/C is off is probably correct.

What I have done is to add a sensor in configuration.yaml that extracts the state (off or fan_only) of each zone. I then use NodeRed logic to convert the sensor “fan_only” & “off” into an input boolean. I can then use the input boolean on my Lovelace page and use the “colour icons based on state” option.

1 Like

You could of course easily logic AND the state of the main unit (running in some mode) with the “fan_only” state of each zone to indicate the zone being on.

FYI - The percentage of the zone still moves up and down even if the main system is off

yes indeed, but what I meant was that if you take the state of “fan_only” to mean “damper open”, then reporting “damper open” when the system is off is probably still technically correct because the dampers don’t close when the system turns off.

It should just reflect the zone on/off button on the Airtouch itself. The damper can be closed even though it’s on so damper open isn’t a correct representation either really.

Each zone reports two modes: fan_only and off - which is as you described, i.e. on or off. But in HA, the state of the zone doesn’t actually tell you if the main heat-pump is on or not. I have solved this by creating some more sensors which look like this:

- sensor:
    - name: "Dining room heat-pump state"
      state: >
        {% if is_state('climate.dining', 'off') %}
          off
        {% else %}
          {{ states('climate.ac_0') }}
        {% endif %}

This basically says, if the zone is off then report the state as being off, but if the zone is on then report the state of the main heat-pump. This means that the zone will report whether it’s heating or cooling or on auto mode.

I’m doing this mostly for reporting purposes - I want to track the temperature in each room, and also show if the zone was heating or off. I can plot graphs like this in Grafana:

2 Likes

What happens when the zone is turned on, the system is set to heating but the heat pump isn’t turned on though?

I have a esp32 setup with a supply air and return air temperature sensors fitted in the duct work.
It uses differences between supply and return air temps to determine if the system is in heating or cooling mode, it’s also doing some other cool things that I’ve spoken to the Airtouch engineers about adding one day.

Like you, you can see some cool stuff in grafana adding this in.