Airtouch 5 Integration (Aus)

This is the problem. Not sure how you have your host system installed, but you’ll need to install gcc.
If you manually installed HA, you missed a step.

Hi Danzel,

Thanks for the information. I installed the latest version of home assistant os that would support raspberry pi 2. I have an intel NUC floating around, so will try to set that up with home assistant os instead, and I might have better luck!

After moving up to the Intel NUC it is working great! Looking forward to using the extended capability through Home Assistant.

Hi @smitcoracing,

Could I please get a copy of the API? I am keen to learn more about what functionality is available.

I have been experimenting with scenes to change the temperature on my A/C unit and turn on/off zones as required. I note that changing zones from fan_only mode to off doesn’t seem to work. It appears that the scene change tries to turn off the zone via the service scene.turn_on call, which is followed immediately by a call to turn on the zone via the service scene.turn_on call.

However, when I manually turn off the zone via the dashboard, I notice it uses the climate.set_hvac_mode, and works successfully.

Is there any way I can activate/deactivate the zones from a scene?

Also @smitcoracing are you still open to discussing airtouch setup issues? Our system was set up to have a lossnay as the only means of extraction from our laundry and bathrooms, and it doesn’t seem to work much in our Laundry, when the dryer is on (I am contemplating getting a separate extractor fan installed).

I’ll message you my number,

It sounds like your a little confused on how everything works etc, the integration itself is working fine.

1 Like

Wow, lots of amazing work done on this over the past few months. Looks like a big thanks to @Danzel for sharing his work with the community. Also thanks to everyone else on figuring out the bugs and feedback for it as well and making the Home Assistant community amazing! I was able to jump over to the 0.2.8 release pretty easily.

@smitcoracing since your profile says you are an installer and you seem to be extremely knowledgeable here, do you actually sell the Airtouch ITCs? I was looking to buy some more for rooms that do not have them and would like to support the community if its beneficial to you in any way.

Thanks again!

1 Like

@bojo hi mate, have sent you a DM

This is exciting! Will this move to the official repo soon so we can install directly from HA?

1 Like

Eventually, I submitted everything today Add airtouch5 by danzel · Pull Request #98136 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

2 Likes

I am interested in the air touch 5 api

Hi mate
Apologies for jumping on the bandwagon but any chance I could pick your brains with a couple of questions about my airtouch 5 system?
Thanks in advance!

Hey, don’t apologise, I have sent you a DM

Looking to install an airtouch 5 do you service gold coast?

Hi mate, sure do I live on the Gold Coast.

Your welcome to call anytime if you want

0447 770 989

1 Like

New contributor here. First off, I’d like to say I’m really impressed with AirTouch - our house had an unbalanced head profile and our old aircon front-end wasn’t smart (front rooms were hot, back rooms freezing), airtouch out of the box solved that - I anticipated I’d need to write a custom engine to balance the rooms temperatures well but the inbuilt algorithm seems pretty good. I’m also really impressed with both the community effort (Thanks @Denzel!) as well as the openness from Smitcoracing to support units.

The unit has been working flawlessly, but since I integrated it with GitHub - danzel/airtouch5py: Python client for the airtouch 5 I’ve noticed the tablet reboots randomly (it’s positioned outside the bedroom, I’ve noticed it rebooting at night on several occasions, but it’s certainly not in a boot loop or anything). I’ve updated the AirTouch app to the latest version (2.x) and updated the plugin (I think I started on 0.2.6 and bumped to 0.2.8). I don’t recall ever seeing the tablet reboot prior to this (We’ve had it ~6 months) but I’m willing to test ‘This means now, the tablet slide on to the bracket and the pins on the tablet contact an additional plate on the wall bracket.’ if anyone thinks this is relevant.

The Home Assistant integration also loses connectivity briefly reporting ‘unavailable’ and sometimes instructions (such as ‘change from fan to cool’) do not work temporarily - I have to wait 10 seconds and try again type workflow.

To be clear, both these issues are not complete show-stoppers and haven’t broken anything. I haven’t attempted any debugging but I’m highly technical, so tell me what you need in terms of relevant logs, or if there’s anything I should try to resolve either issues.

I don’t use them personally, I have a Samsung wall tablet which I run everything on. I do see customers with apps on them but I have never had anyone tell me that they are slow but I also don’t really ask too much. I will try some.

@Smitcoracing, Any details on how to achieve this? Can the Airtouch app be backgrounded and is replacement easy / straight-forward to do? The tablet responsiveness is not extremely great and it’s the perfect opportunity to mount a HASS tablet to the wall :wink:

Hi mate,

If I’m hearing you correctly,

The Airtouch tablet needs to stay as it is and can’t be replaced with something else, it’s not that simple.

I use a Samsung wall tablet at home that runs the app like it would on your phone and my Airtouch is located out of site and connected To the ac still

I have mentioned to Airtouch a while ago they need to make a cloud hub type thing so the Airtouch tablet isn’t used as some people like me have a wall mounted tablet or only ever use the app and never the wall tablet

2 Likes

From release 0.2.7:

from 0.2.8:

First, huge thanks for all your efforts in getting this to where it is already, it’s really appreciated. I can also see that the PR into the main home-assistant branch is not straightforward, so doubly appreciate your efforts managing that too.

As you asked for feedback, I just wanted to throw out a use-case I have for manual damper positioning with ITCs:

I use manual damper positioning for sleeping as I like to have a constant airflow through the night, so I set:

• Bedroom zone damper to 45% (via ‘advanced airflow’ in the AirTouch programming, or by clicking the zone setpoint in the app to switch to manual damper control),
  • System setpoint to 21C,
  • System mode to auto.

This way, the system maintains a constant airflow all night, turning the compressor on and off as required to maintain the zone (or return?) air temp at the setpoint.

I get that people might get themselves into trouble by messing with the damper percentages, especially if they’re trying to outsmart the Airtouch system itself through their own automations, but I feel like blocking this capability in the hass integration limits the utility to below that of the main controller, which already allows folks to get themselves into plenty of trouble. Could we instead have this capability as an advanced option, or otherwise provide a warning suggesting it’s not a good idea?

I’m happy running my own fork of your code if I’m the only one here that sees value in this, but figured I’d throw in a use-case I think is valid for consideration.

1 Like

Could you try calling set damper % service directly on the zone?
We don’t say we support it, but the api is wired up. Not sure how smart home assistant will be about it. Might still work :sweat_smile:

Hi Mate,

You would be better off going into the controller and setting a minimum vent to 40% and leaving the zone locked to temperature control instead of changing between the temperature setting and the percentage. What you are doing is a very rare thing and doesn’t suit the majority unfortunately, you are also taking away temperature control of your room which causes the system to run more than it should and increases energy usage. Do you not use a ceiling fan?

What about doing a automation so that when setpoint is reached the system switches to fresh mode as this by default drives the zone to 50% open regardless of room temperature, then if the temperature increases automate it to bring cooling or heating back on, this would be way better all round.
That way you leave the zone minimum vent at 0% like it should be under normal operation.

Airtouch already has enough issues with people switching between temperature control and percentage control because people don’t understand how the system works and it also messes with the algorithm of temperature control. Myself and others are actually pushing to have groups locked to temperature control set by default and control sensor set to economy when a temp sensor is paired for the same reason.

In a residential application I advise most people not to use auto fan or auto mode, auto fan will be perfect when intelligent auto is released but I don’t know when that will be.

Auto mode is just going to pick between heating or cooling and homes just need one or the other.
The start stop temperature is also greater in auto mode.

There is much more I could go into detail about with all of this but if you want to discuss things further you would be welcome to call me.

Hey @Danzel, thanks so much for your work on the HA integration. Works really well overall.
I did notice though that when I set my AC to fan only mode, and enable a single zone, all the dampers report being 50% open, which is not true. Is this a limitation of the AirTouch system or a bug in the HA integration?