Alert for Water use with rtlamr2mqtt?

I’ve been trying to create an automation to sense a water leak using rtlamr2mqtt, but I can’t figure it out. I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but when I got to create the automation and choose my Water Sensor as the device and try to set the Trigger as Numeric state, I can choose consumption, but need to set a specific number, which continuously climbs. I need a way to alert me when a set number of gallons has been used over time, but can’t figure out the logic. Can anyone help me see what I’m missing?

Of course, I’ve been trying to figure this out, but the day after I finally post I figure it out. Mods, feel free to delete this topic as it won’t let me.

Hey, i’m trying to do the same (monitor water usage over time). I would like to detect things like leaving the garden hose open for hours (high consumption over several hours). Could you share what you found? .Thanks

My first step was to create three helpers under Settings. I created three Utility Meter helpers, one with a Meter reset cycle of Hourly, one with a reset cycle of Daily, and one with a reset Cycle of Monthly. I then created an Automation to alert me with the Last Period from Hourly Water Use is above (whatever amount you want to set). I set mine for 60 gallons and it’s only fired once, so you may need to tweak the amount you want it to warn you at. If your worried about a slow leak, you could also set it to alert you if a set amount (10 gallons for instance) was above over a set number of hours.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll look into it.