Alexa access on multiple accounts

I have Alexa setup and working: mainly thanks to

but my wife also have a profile on the devices linked to her account and I really need to be able to control the lights etc. from her profile as well as mine.

I have gone into my Amazon Developer Console and added her as a DEVELOPER. She has had the invite and applied the bits to set herself up with a developer account. Logged on as her I see my skill but it just doesn’t appear in the Alexa app so I can’t go through account linking to set it up.

Any ideas on what I need to do to get the skill to appear in her app?

Just in case anyone comes searching for this…
Amazon have confirmed that skills that need account linking won’t appear unless the skill is approved or you setup a beta test.

The beta test is limited to 90 days so you could do it this way but you would need to setup a new beta test every 90 days and presumably setup the skill in their app.

I think I can setup a second skill using the wife’s Alexa developer account and point this at the same Lambda function in my AWS account so off to try this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the warning. I’m looking to do the exact same thing (connect a second Amazon account to share the household devices).

I assumed I’d need to make a copy of the Alexa integration and run it under a new domain. However, from your description, it sounds like that may not be necessary as long as I want both Amazon accounts to have access to the same devices.

Now that some time has passed, do you have any more lessons learned from doing this?

You do not need to put it into “Beta Test” and renew it every 90 days to have multiple accounts use your skill, I have had three different user accounts linked and operational for over a year by adding them as devs on the account where I have my HA-related skills. It might be possible to give them one of the lower tiers of user permissions, so they can’t log in accidentally and muck something up. But, since I only use the account for Haaska and Actionable Notifications I didn’t bother testing those.

This is done through: https://developer.amazon.com/settings/console/userpermissions/detail.html

For some unknown reason it can take up to 24 hours for the skill to become available to them in their Alexa app once they complete the process, so don’t get anxious if it’s not there immediately.

Also, be forewarned that using multiple accounts in one household can cause some issues. For me the most annoying has been that it interferes with using the last_called attribute in automations and scripts, because each account has a device where last_called is “true”. You can work around this by comparing last_called_timestamps, but it requires some experimentation with entity updates and delay lengths in the scripts to be reliable.

2 Likes

AWS told me that skills that require account linking only appear as dev skills when the AWS account matches the dev account. I did originally try adding the wife as a dev on my account but the skill never showed up on her Alexa app event after a couple of days. We have both amazon account setup on the Alexa devices as different profiles.

Setting the wife up as an Alexa dev and creating her own skill has worked flawlessly since I set it up.

did you have to create a completely new aws account for your wife (with lambda and ios)? or do you want to give her the rights under the link above?

It was just the Alexa Developer account bit.
My Lamba has two smart home triggers (one from my Alexa developer account and one from hers)

1 Like

I am looking for the best way to use my alexa with home assistant and 4 persons (all older than 17), is that way with account linking a possible solution for me and is it still working?
I opened a topic on that but did not get any hints what could be the best solution for my use case (Alexa Newbie: Best practice with 4 persons - #4 by NathanCu)

Thanks,
Regards,
Mike

I think you just need to replicate the above (each person needs a developer account then add smart home triggers on your skill for each account).

Not sure if Amazon family stuff comes into play or whether this bypasses all that

1 Like

Hello
First: I created a new developer account for my son and added their dev account to my dev account as administrator as well.
I added a new trigger in the Lambda Func for my son’s account, but I could see that the Skill ID is the same for both developer accounts, where I can identify their account in the trigger Lambda Func?

Second: Are there some updates and advances for this subject?

Thanks