Alexa Announce Feature - Text to Speach via Alexa now a possability?

You have to be in your config directory… so in my case I had to do: cd /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/ Your path my be different… I’m also using venv but my commands won’t work unless I do that first

alexa_remote_control.sh was working fine last couple days, but it’s broken this morning.
The lines after Alexa.Speak were not there before, and no sound played, anybody know what’s wrong?

I’ve re-done all the setup steps: log out of alexa, removed /tmp/.alexa*, getting the cookie, still the same. -a logged in amazon correctly and listed all devices, any -e gave me the same results.

alexa_remote_control.sh -d “Kitchen Echo” -e speak:this_is_a_test
sending cmd:speak:this_is_a_test to dev:Kitchen Echo type: … serial: … customerid: …
Sequence command: Alexa.Speak
HTTP/1.1 0 x-amzn-RequestId: aad2a8a1-7f9f-11e8-9b09-2b6ab4a02f6e
Access-Control-Allow-Origin: https://alexa.amazon.com
Content-Encoding: deflate
Vary: Origin
Access-Control-Expose-Headers: x-amzn-dat-gui-client-upgrade,X-Amzn-Error,loginUrl,X-Amzn-RequestId,x-amzn-alt-domain,Date,Location
Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2018 15:33:57 GMT
Connection: close

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers. All working now.

1 Like

Mine is still working fine… what happens when you Run ./alexa_remote_control.sh -d “My Dot Name” -e speak:This_is_a_test! From the command line

Those log were what I got from ssh command line :frowning:

Today not working at all. o.O’ cookie expire even I sign-in and download new cookie.txt and replace.

This looks like a great tool but I’m having problems. Seems that the cookie is always expired. Downloaded and copied from both Chrome and Firefox, and can’t get past the first check ./alexa_remote_control.sh -a.

This would have been great for my new Ring Doorbell and being able to have a chime or a message to notify that someone is here. A much-needed feature that Ring left out of their Alexa skill. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Hopefully a fix can be found soon.

Check out this thread @cjsimmons. @keatontaylor has done amazing work getting this going.

Noob here. How do I make the .sh file become executable on hassio?

It’s ok now… Managed to solved it!

Have you managed to solve the problem?

I just got everything setup today and encountered the same problem as you.

Access-Control-Allow-Origin: https://alexa.amazon.com
Content-Encoding: deflate
Vary: Origin
Access-Control-Expose-Headers: x-amzn-dat-gui-client-upgrade,X-Amzn-Error,loginUrl,X-Amzn    -RequestId,x-amzn-alt-domain,Date,Location
Access-Control-Allow-Credentials: true
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 09:30:01 GMT
Connection: close

Thank you, it’s solved after couple of days re-doing the steps. Not sure what caused that.

Not quite sure myself. I think it has to do with file permissions(?).

This is the way I’m doing it on my hassbian on RPi3, not necessary the only way or perfect, I still need to re-do this every couple days:
On my windows PC, login to alexa.amazon.com (log out first if needed, don’t check the Keep me signed in box)
Copy the cookie.txt to RPi3, /www folder, I reuse the .alexa.cookie below.
ls -al .alexa*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 2898 Aug 19 16:41 .alexa.cookie
I run this set of commands when HA starts:

• service: shell_command.run_sudo
    data_template:
    cmdline: “cp /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/www/.alexa.cookie /tmp”

I can test at the ssh shell with
sudo cp //www/.alexa.cookie /tmp && sh //www/alexa_remote_control.sh -a

device list does not exist. downloading ...
the following devices exist in your account:
Living room Echo
Ground floor

ls -al /tmp/.alexa*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2898 Aug 19 16:42 /tmp/.alexa.cookie
-rw-r–r-- 1 pi pi 6546 Aug 19 16:42 /tmp/.alexa.devicelist.json

In HA, I use a simple script to tts:
tts_alexa_say:
sequence:
- service: shell_command.run_sudo
data_template:
cmdline: “/usr/bin/aplay -Dhw:0,0 /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/www/sound/Text-tone.wav”
- service: mqtt.publish
data_template:
topic: “tts/tone”
payload_template: “Play”
retain: true
- service: shell_command.run_sudo
data_template:
cmdline: sh /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/www/alexa_remote_control.sh -d “{{alexa}}” {{alexa_cmd}}"{{tts_say}}"

Hope this helps

Thanks!
I will give it a try.

I gave this a try tonight. I was able to get the cookies copied over and had the script pulled back the device list. When I tried a sample speak command from the command line it shows the following:

root@homeassistant-76-1:/config# ./alexa_remote_control.sh -d "Bedroom Echo Dot" -e speak:test                                                                                                           
sending cmd:speak:test to dev:Bedroom Echo Dot type:REDACTED serial:type:REDACTED customerid:type:REDACTED                                                                                
Sequence command: Alexa.Speak                                                                                

Nothing is spoken from the device. I logged into the Alexa portal and the History is empty, too. I tried the alexa_remote_control_plain.sh as well with the same results. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I’ve tried the cookies.txt thing from both Chrome and Firefox. They seem to be working since I was able to pull the device list.

try a longer test and different devices.
when it doesnt work try pulling the devicelist again.

remember that the device is capital sensitive.

sometimes a text just dissapears in my case.
i send most of my texts to 6 devices. (from the 7 i own)
and sometimes it reaches only 4 or 5

Yeah, I’ve tried all of this. If the device name is incorrect, you get a message saying device not found. I’ve tried long and short messges. I’ve tried sending with 3 different Echo devices with no success. I’ve deleted all the /tmp/ files and tried this 3 times now. :frowning:

I managed to figure out my problem, and I believe this is a bug in the script. I turned on a trace of the curl command that the script was sending and found that it was returning a HTTP 400 Bad Request response from Amazon. Further investigation showed that the customerId on the payload was not correct. After inspecting the .alexa.devicelist.json file, I was able find my correct customerId associated to a one of my devices. I went into the script and hardcoded the payload to use my customer Id, and now all is working.

So, I believe this is a bug in the script. I suspect what is happening is that Amazon is returning the customerId of whoever’s account is associated with the device at the time you run this script’s setup. My wife and I switch accounts on Echo devices all the time, so her customerId is on a lot my devices. This script tries to use that customerId in the request and it fails. I believe the script needs to always use the customerId of whoever did the signin/cookie stuff.

2 Likes

thats obvious.
but there is no easy way to retrieve the id from the cookie i think.

so i dont think its a bug, more a complication.

but you found a good workaround.