Alexa doesn't find any devices - solved

Thank you @netizen24601. After a lot of testing I realized the same, forgot to post here. One of my media_player entities was causing the problem. The thing is, it was working before I disabled. And, how to overcome this? Have you found a solution?

I haven’t. But I dont need my media players accessible via Alexa. Mainly just use Alexa routines as custom commands for scripts.

Hi to everyone,

I will ask for some help, because i dunno what’s happend with my home assistant. I tried to ask in other topic, but nobody respond. and i dunno what else to do…

I’m using HA in docker. I’m workign with version 0.100.2, and all works well. One day i decided to update to version 0.102.3, all continue working ok, except alexa. When i try to download my covers, alexa says that device not respond. So i returned to version 0.100.2 and works perfect!

Now i want to update to lastest version, i have the same problem. I added the debug in my configuration like this:

logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.alexa: debug

And then in logs only i can see this:

2020-04-23 16:54:55 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.yaml.loader] YAML file /config/scripts.yaml contains duplicate key "entity_id". Check lines 8 and 10.
2020-04-23 16:54:55 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.yaml.loader] YAML file /config/scripts.yaml contains duplicate key "entity_id". Check lines 24 and 26.
2020-04-23 16:54:55 WARNING (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.util.yaml.loader] YAML file /config/sensors.yaml contains duplicate key "platform". Check lines 224 and 226.
2020-04-23 16:54:56 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for smartir which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain logger took 0.0 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up http
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain http took 0.0 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up system_log
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain system_log took 0.0 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up recorder
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up webhook
2020-04-23 16:54:56 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain webhook took 0.0 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up alexa
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain alexa took 0.0 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain recorder took 0.6 seconds.
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded logbook from homeassistant.components.logbook
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded google_assistant from homeassistant.components.google_assistant
2020-04-23 16:54:57 INFO (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded ssdp from homeassistant.components.ssdp

Please can someone help me?

thanks in advance!

I’m experiencing the same issue. Worked last night when I set up my receiver for the first time as an exposed component. I was able to mute, turn up/down volume, all with alexa commands, but then this morning, Alexa discovery stopped working, so no new devices were able to be exposed.

Had no idea it was related to the receiver until I found this thread and narrowed it down to that specific media player. Other custom media_players (like spotify) work fine.

Can you provide more details about the media player you found to be problematic? Might help narrow down the issue.

In my case it’s a Denon AVR-X3000. I kept trying to include it until I finally gave up and switched to node-red-contrib-amazon-echo in Node-RED.

1 Like

If you’re interested, the maintainer posted a workaround in #34029. I posted my repro steps in that ticket as well.

Basically, go to customizations and override “supported_features” with a number that’s 65536 less than what appears. In my case with the AVR-X3500H, the original value shown was 69004, so I changed it to 3468.

I’m assuming there will be a fix soon, but in the meantime, this has brought my receiver back into Alexa. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

I had tried a number of solutions, but what worked for me was to log out of Nabu Casa in Settings > HA Cloud and then log back in.

I seem to be having the same issue, i’ve just added an Amazon Echo Show 5 to my home, followed the setup process via NabuCasa and although I see notifications that my Home Assistant is linked to Alexa none of my entities appear in the Cloud > Alexa > Manage entities screen; I can only see a black screen with a spinning blue circle?

Logs show:

Logger: homeassistant.components.alexa.smart_home
Source: components/alexa/entities.py:457
Integration: Amazon Alexa (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 10:38:51 (3 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:41:16

Uncaught exception processing Alexa Alexa.Discovery/Discover request (-)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/smart_home.py", line 41, in async_handle_message
    response = await funct_ref(hass, config, directive, context)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/handlers.py", line 104, in async_api_discovery
    for alexa_entity in async_get_entities(hass, config)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/entities.py", line 368, in async_get_entities
    if not list(alexa_entity.interfaces()):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/entities.py", line 457, in interfaces
    if climate.HVACMode.OFF in self.entity.attributes.get(
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

and

Logger: homeassistant.util.logging
Source: util/logging.py:187
First occurred: 10:38:07 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:38:07

Exception in _async_prefs_updated called from File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/runpy.py", line 196, in _run_module_as_main return _run_code(code, main_globals, None, File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/runpy.py", line 86, in _run_code exec(code, run_globals) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 203, in <module> sys.exit(main()) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 191, in main exit_code = runner.run(runtime_conf) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/runner.py", line 119, in run return loop.run_until_complete(setup_and_run_hass(runtime_config)) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/base_events.py", line 633, in run_until_complete self.run_forever() File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/base_events.py", line 600, in run_forever self._run_once() File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1896, in _run_once handle._run() File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/events.py", line 80, in _run self._context.run(self._callback, *self._args) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/decorators.py", line 27, in _handle_async_response await func(hass, connection, msg) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cloud/http_api.py", line 381, in websocket_update_prefs await cloud.client.prefs.async_update(**changes) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cloud/prefs.py", line 115, in async_update await self._save_prefs(prefs) File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cloud/prefs.py", line 319, in _save_prefs self._hass.async_create_task(async_create_catching_coro(listener(self))) Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cloud/alexa_config.py", line 227, in _async_prefs_updated await self.async_sync_entities() File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/cloud/alexa_config.py", line 319, in async_sync_entities for entity in alexa_entities.async_get_entities(self.hass, self): File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/entities.py", line 368, in async_get_entities if not list(alexa_entity.interfaces()): File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/entities.py", line 457, in interfaces if climate.HVACMode.OFF in self.entity.attributes.get( TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

and

Logger: homeassistant
Source: components/alexa/entities.py:457
First occurred: 10:39:39 (31 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:41:36

Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/state_report.py", line 77, in async_entity_state_listener
    for interface in alexa_changed_entity.interfaces():
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/alexa/entities.py", line 457, in interfaces
    if climate.HVACMode.OFF in self.entity.attributes.get(
TypeError: argument of type 'NoneType' is not iterable

The Alexa Skill shows linked, I’ve tried logging out of everything and back in following the nabu casa steps exactly and after each time all I can see under Alexa Manage Entities is a black screen with a blue spinning circle.

Any ideas?

If you disable that climate device and restart HA are you able to reach the manage entities page?

@cogneato I don’t know how I didn’t spot that; I’ve disabled the local tuya climate heater and yup, all my entities have popped up.
Thank you