Alexa Integration - Unsupported Operation Mode Error Message

Hi all,

I’m running into an issue getting a specific climate component to work with the HA Cloud Alexa integration. Order of events is as follows:

1. Created an MQTT Climate component that stitched together an Arduino temperature sensor and Z-Wave power outlet to control my bedroom’s AC unit. This was controlled via Node-RED.
  2. I added the climate.bedroom component to Alexa. The Alexa app threw a pretty generic “An error occurred” type message for this device. (Other HA components worked fine with Alexa.)
  3. I purged all devices from Alexa via the Alexa web interface and moved into plan b.
  4. Reconfigured the bedroom climate components as a “Generic Thermostat” climate component (still named climate.bedroom). Created a second generic thermostat component for my living room’s AC unit (climate.living_room). Same concept as the bedroom.

The living room AC unit works just fine via the Alexa integration. The bedroom’s AC unit is still causing the Alexa app to throw an error. I see the following in the Home Assistant error log:

homeassistant.components.alexa.smart_home._UnsupportedProperty: thermostatMode
2018-06-15 23:07:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.alexa.smart_home] climate.bedroom (<class 'homeassistant.core.State'>) has unsupported operation_mode value 'off'
2018-06-15 23:07:00 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.cloud.iot] Error handling message

It looks like HA/Alexa are remembering some part of the error state or configuration of my old MQTT Climate climate.bedroom component. Any ideas as to how I can fix this? I don’t want to change the name of the bedroom unit.

Relevant parts of my configuration are:

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Bedroom
    heater: switch.bedroom_ac_power_switch
    ac_mode: True
    target_temp: 72
    min_cycle_duration:
      seconds: 5
    target_sensor: sensor.bedroom_temperature
    keep_alive:
      minutes: 5
    min_temp: 60
    max_temp: 90
    cold_tolerance: 1
    hot_tolerance: 1
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Living Room
    heater: switch.aeotec_zw078_heavy_duty_smart_switch_gen5_switch
    ac_mode: True
    target_temp: 72
    min_cycle_duration:
      seconds: 5
    target_sensor: sensor.living_room_temperature
    keep_alive:
      minutes: 5
    min_temp: 60
    max_temp: 90
    cold_tolerance: 1
    hot_tolerance: 1

The sensors are both MQTT sensors. The switches are both Z-Wave switches.

Thanks!

Did you figure this out? I’m getting errors with the generic_thermostat as well.

File "/opt/python-venvs/hass-prod/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/alexa/smart_home.py", line 1525, in async_api_reportstate
    properties.extend(interface.serialize_properties())
  File "/opt/python-venvs/hass-prod/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/alexa/smart_home.py", line 277, in serialize_properties
    prop_value = self.get_property(prop_name)
  File "/opt/python-venvs/hass-prod/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/components/alexa/smart_home.py", line 450, in get_property
    raise _UnsupportedProperty(name)
homeassistant.components.alexa.smart_home._UnsupportedProperty: thermostatMode