Alexa integration without cloud: Unable to discover devices

Hi there,

I’m new to Home Assistant from smart things, in fact I just started a few days ago. I’m struggling with getting my devices discovered in Alexa after following this guide:

I’m conflicted because using the lambda function to test returns all my home assistant devices which theoretically should have them show up no problem.

I successfully linked and authenticated my skill and attempted to discover devices and none turn up.

My config file for the integration has this:

alexa:
  smart_home:

Any pointers for getting this to work would be great. Again the lambda test discovery works, connects to my domain and home assistant install returning a giant list of all devices. Yet after connecting the skill none are discovered.

Thank you.

It looks like you missed the part in the section “Alexa Smart Home Component Configuration” where it says that “filter” is required… The default if you don’t put anything under filter is to include everything:

alexa:
  smart_home:
    filter:

If that doesn’t work on its own, try specifically excluding a couple entities (I would suggest the media player entities of you echo devices… Alexa already has direct access to those, so having them available through HA doesn’t add anything)

alexa:
  smart_home:
    filter:
      exclude_entities:
        - media_player.kitchen_dot

Hello, thank you for your response. I tried your first suggestion with

alexa:
  smart_home:
    filter:

and received the following error:

Logger: homeassistant.config
Source: config.py:464
First occurred: 10:51:18 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 10:51:18 PM

Invalid config for [alexa]: expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['alexa']['smart_home']['filter']. Got None. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 11). Please check the docs at https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/alexa

Subsequently, I also tried

alexa:
  smart_home:
    filter:
      exclude_entities:
        - switch.0620024668c63acabbe0

Restarted, attempted rediscovering devices and still nothing has been discovered. There are some old articles with people with similar issues from 2017 but no solution was ever posted. I’m not sure what’s going on. I’ve also verified the regions are selected properly for the skill, and aws console.

EDIT: I deleted my lambda function and Alexa skill and started over, being cautious to ensure the right region was selected. After doing all the steps all over I’m in the same boat.

I found the solution, I was about to attempt a different guide (https://github.com/mike-grant/haaska/wiki) when I discovered that they had something slightly different:

api:

alexa:
  smart_home:

I added API line, restarted, and attempted discovery again and ALL my devices showed up. Very happy day.

4 Likes

Thanks TomLyon
Also worked for me.