Alexa keeps losing its connection to HA until I logout/login to Nabucasa

Starting about two or three months ago, my Amazon Echo devices will lose their ability to control my HA devices. It will respond with “I can’t find a device called in Joseph’s profile”.

The only reliable fix I’ve found for this is to go into HA, log out of the NabuCasa cloud, immediately log back in, and then, if I open my Alexa app, I’ll see the devices and their statuses show back up in the devices list.

Sometimes I can go for a week or two without this happening, and then it will happen about 3-4 times over a few days.

Anybody have an idea why this is happening and how to prevent it (or, at the least, have HA notice when it happens and automatically logout/login)?

2 Likes

Hmmm — I’ve just had this start to happen this evening. I’ll try the logout/login trick, but I hope others can help with a proper solution!

1 Like

Did logout/login fix it?

Same thing is happening with my installation frequently.

Add me to this list. Sometimes it drops the next day, sometimes it goes several days working just fine. I either have to reboot the computer or relog into nabucasa. Really frustrating.

+1 here. I am just working now on getting Alexa to control HA devices; I’ve encountered the same problem, and the same solution works.

I did try one additional thing - using the cloud.disconnect and cloud.connect services from within HA (hoping I could create an automation to refresh), but that doesn’t work.

Hi, Has anyone found a fix to this yet?

Nope and I just had to deal with it last night.
Mine is Google Assistant.

I thought maybe going in to voice assistants settings, and then exposing a new entity and the unexposing might trigger an update and bring everything back to life, but it didn’t instead -

Fetched https://remotestate.nabucasa.com/request_sync (500)

Logging out of cloud and back in, immediately fixed the issue. I guess there must be a token that is not being refreshed or something and that breaks everything until a manual log out and back in, or a Home Assistant restart (which is usually what happens here).

I may have stumbled onto the cause of the issue.

I have several instances of Home Assistant (different homes) and realize I can only sign one instance into Nabu Casa at a time (needed for the Alexa integration). And I was typically having Alexa lose its connection within a few hours (at most a day) until I logged out and logged back in.

A few days ago, I discovered I’d inadvertently failed to sign out of one of them, before signing into my intended instance. I corrected that, and now it SEEMS to be working fine.

Maybe my situation is unique, and others who have had the same problem aren’t presenting this same scenario. But I wanted to put this out there in case others are affected the same way.

1 Like

Walter, very interesting. Never thought of that. I too have a second instance and its logged into Nabu Casa. Will give it a go and report back.

Hi, Going to give Walter’s idea a go, will report back on progress

1 Like

Same thing has happened to me after a restart. I had to logout of HomeAssistant Cloud and log back in but now all my actions on routines in Alexa have been cleared and I have to re-add them.

Additionally there are a bunch of duplicate entities in the Alexa app, one available and one (the old entity before this issue) unavailable.

Extremely frustrating.

Hi,

Went through the same pain a while ago. All sorts of Node red automation setup to spot it and alert me.

Just having one instance login to Nabu Casa has fixed it for me!!

I’ve been running it for over a week now and all good so far.

Big thanks to @wheindl for the fix!

1 Like