Alexa Media Player cannot be not loaded after 2022.12

After installing HA 2022.12, I restarted Home Assistant and Alexa Media Player cannot be loaded anymore.
I got the following error:

Unable to install package alexapy==1.26.4: 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f19439a0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /musllinux/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f19400d0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /musllinux/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f1940040>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /musllinux/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f19cab00>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /musllinux/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f18f1990>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /musllinux/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=4, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f17c1ea0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /simple/alexapy/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=3, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f1b0b640>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /simple/alexapy/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f1b0b2b0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /simple/alexapy/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f1b0b430>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /simple/alexapy/ 
WARNING: Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7fd9f1b0b160>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again')': /simple/alexapy/ 
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement alexapy==1.26.4 (from versions: none) 
ERROR: No matching distribution found for alexapy==1.26.4 
WARNING: There was an error checking the latest version of pip.

According to the FAQ section of this integration …
Alexa Media Player FAQ

But I am running Home Assistant under a virtual machine in Synology, and I don’t know how to run the command as it is described above

source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate

Anyone know how to reinstall the alexapy?

Thanks in advance

Why don’t you ask the author via an issue on his github?

while I do agree with the general suggestion to get in contact with the devs of the custom integration - when you have an issue with the custom integration, I think this is more a general issue here with the underlying image:

ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement alexapy==1.26.4 (from versions: none) 
ERROR: No matching distribution found for alexapy==1.26.4 
WARNING: There was an error checking the latest version of pip.

I don’t have any issues with the Alexa MediaPlayer integration after the update to 2022.12 nor 2022.12.1

According to the error / warning, there’s an issue with PIP - which is required to download a newer version of alexapy…
So I think, the Virtual Machine on Synology is running an HassOS - as Docker Image?

Maybe, this is causing the issue?

I tried to contact the author through GitHub, but there is no response yet.

I am running Home Assistant OS (9.3) . I installed it using the “ova” image. I am running it under the “Virtual Machine Manager” from Synology.

According to this guides

Home Assistant alternative installation methods

Home Assistant on Virtual Machine Synology

Can’t see your issue. Which one is yours? Issues · custom-components/alexa_media_player · GitHub

Oh I see it was closed, did you manage to fix it?

No, the issue is still there. The author told me that it is a network problem … but I have no idea where to start searching.

I can ping “pypi.org” without any problem inside the synology NAS … so it seems the problem is not coming from there.

Enter the docker container for home assistant and try pip install from there.

Thanks @nickrout, but unfortunately I am running home assistant through a virtual image inside “Virtual Machine Manager” from Sinology, and when I tried to run “pip3 install alexapy” or “pip install alexapy”, even with sudo … I got “command not found”.

In the past I found a bit more complicated Docker and the cointaners maintenance, so I decided to install Home Assistant OS through a virtual machine.

Maybe when I have some more time I can start testing a new fresh install with docker.

If you have haos you have docker. My suggestion stands.

OK, I am not quite sure. When do you say I have docker … what do you mean exactly? I didn’t find it inside home assistant or as an add-on that can be downloaded.

If you mean docker that can be run inside the terminal, through the “ssh terminal” add-on …
then I tried both commands … “pip3 install alexapy” and “pip install alexapy” … but same result. “command not found”

Is there any other way? Sorry but I am very newby on this.

You might need to use the other ssh addon called Web Terminal & SSH.

Finally I move the NAS to a new location … I connected it to a different network and … homeassistant was able to load the Alexa Media Player integration without any problem… so the files that the integration needs (and that were deleted or corrupted after installing homeassistant 2022.12) were downloaded and installed correctly.

Now I moved again the NAS to home … and the integration was loaded Ok.

So maybe there is a problem with the router … that was blocking something (although I didn’t change anything recently) o maybe it was a problem with the ISP.

If anyone else is having this problem, it seems like I had a similar one too – and I figured it out. There’s an open issue on GitHub, on this link.

1 Like

Thank you for the info.

1 Like