Alexa Notifications

It can’t be done in HA.
Alexa require it to run on their cloud AWS services. It is a limitation by Amazon to wall off their ecosystem.

Then how are other 3rd parties doing it? AWS exposes how to do it in their API. I don’t believe AWS has walled anything off per se, HA just hasn’t implemented it.

See: http://notifymyecho.com/ and others like it. If this is such a special feature, why aren’t these folks charging for it?

Who said they’re not? Or they havent found a way to monetize the fact you even use it?

Thier ‘datacenter’ is likely in AWS.and therefore not walled

They are not, because I’m not being charged to use their service. Haven’t found a way to monetize for it? Every API call goes through their endpoint, count the number of times it’s called and bill for it?

Where is this notion of walled off coming from? Do you have facts or just conjecture? Alexa API provides this functionality. Alexa Integration in HA core and python lambda code in AWS need to be enhanced.

This feature request is not a debate on whether or not it can be done, as it can. It is also not a debate on whether this functionality exits within Alexa or Alexa Media Player Integrations, as it does not.

This feature request is just that. Should this functionality be included as part of Alexa Integration or not.

Vote accordingly.

Open the link I posted earlier and read it.
Once you get to the blue text saying AWS account, then read that section carefully.

The link you posted was to the Alexa Integration, which I already have configured and working for years. I do not understand the relevance. Both the Lambda code and Alexa Integration in core will need to be modified to provide the functionality I’m requesting.

If you are asserting that the Alexa Integration provides the functionality I’ve requested, it does not.

The skills needs to run on the AWS account and the Alexa integration provides access to that account.
But the feature you want needs to be installed on your personal account, because the free Home Assistant software can not provide that account and can not install the feature either.

It is the downside with closed systems.
The user interface might be better and the support is paid workers, but integration to other systems is a financial risk to these firms then.

You create a “skill” in AWS developer. That skill is python code that was provided as part of the Alexa Integration. Again there are two pieces of code at play here. 1.) Alexa Integration that is part of the HA Core code. 2.) The bit of python code that is loaded into AWS Developer that is the skill.

Both pieces of code will need to be modified to provide the functionality I’ve requested. There is NOTHING closed off here.

1 Like

And for the record, EVERY feature request should ALWAYS be a debate. That’s how good code gets written. I’ve been working in software support for 25 years - the worst code is the one with no competent business owner throttling the business priorities and working with thier software team on requirements.

You ALWAYS debate features - that’s part of it. :wink:

Please continue. Good discussion.

Debate is one thing, boondoggle is another.

The functionality either exists or it doesn’t and is feasible or not. I’ve proven the functionality does not currently exist and I’ve proven that it is possible.

The only debate is, “Should the functionality be provided native in Home Assistant or should we continue to be forced to leverage a 3rd party to obtain it.”

It can not exist natively in HA, because the skill need to be in AWS.
The Alexa integration provide that access to your personal AWS account and that is where the possibilities stop for HA.

It is like if you want water installed in your house.
The water company will install the pipes to your house wall and then you will have to install the pipes inside the house yourself or with some third-party plumber.
It is same with Alexa. HA can provide the pipes to your AWS, but inside it you have to install yourself.

Wally,

I think your understanding of the Alexa Integration is different than mine. The Alexa Integration does NOT solely run locally. There is the actual skill that is created in AWS developer account.

Amazon Alexa Custom Skill - Home Assistant.

Alexa Integration does NOT just provide access to your AWS account. Alexa Integration works in conjunctions with the Smart Home Skill you deploy and link your Alexa account and HA to.

Have you actually worked with this integration yourself?

That is actually what I am saying.
The issue here is getting the skill code into the AWS. This is where the issue is.

I do not understand the issue. This is the code that is deployed as the Skill. Why is there an issue updating this?

Again both the skill provided above and the Alexa Integration in HA core will need to be updated

The problem is not updating it, but uploading it.
In the link you give there is a guide and these 3 points is the issue.

Create Your Amazon Alexa Custom Skill

• Click the Alexa button at the top of the console
  • Click the blue “Create Skill” button in the top right

To upload it you go to your AWS developer console and copy and paste the new code in. Just as you did when you created the Skill in the first place.

It does not appear that are you familiar with this integration.

I can do that, but HA can not.
There is no interface to do this programmatically. This is where Amazon set the limitations for third-party integrations.

Updating code does not equate to deploying it. At no point have I suggested this be fully automated and HA deploy the updated Lambda code for me.

Can you help me understand what prevents the HA code and the Lambda code from being updated with the new functionality and then those updates deployed manually?

Time
The HA team is not that big and only supported by NabaCasa’s earnings.
What you request is a guide to every possible skill in every possible way an user could need it.
It is just not possible with the time and the size of the team.
HA provides an interface to the other vendors system and this interface is often quite low-level in its form, because this is where it provides the greatest versatility and flexibility.
What has to happen in the other vendors systems is up to others to provide guides and info to (this is actually also the case with lots of HAs own features, like macros and Lovelace cards).
If you want more then a NabuCasa subscription can help you somewhat of the way, it in order to reach the level you request you would have to pay ALOT more.
Or you could try one of the other home automation systems available. Some are free, but limited in functionality, because they provide that complete guide to what features they have. Some are paid and can help you more, but might be limited in the integration with other systems, because the may hit their earnings.
If you want to improve on the situation for HA with Alexa, then learn to code it yourself and make a guide on it to help others.

Then why ask for feature requests?