Alexa Routines: "Alexa, Goodnight" = Turn Off X,Y and Z

Seems to have come from here:

1 Like

I am with you honestly. Its a few more words, but I say “Alexa, tell home assistant time for bed”. Runs my script, turns off lights, locks the doors, etc

right. i found the link in another topic on the forum. but thats the page that explains it.

Just to resurrect this thread

Playing with the Alexa app I discovered routines can now be triggered by devices. Unfortunately, when I selected this option I got an error

“we are unable to find any supported devices”

Did some digging found this

Has anyone got any devices compatible, if they can be controlled by HA we now have two way triggering of Alexa, Could the Alexa cloud app add this feature?

why would you want to trigger anything inside a routine?
you want to do that inside HA.

No, it will trigger the routine, so ma\ybe

HA could indirectly control the Zigbee controller in the new echo,
Read calendar after updating events
Set volume after certain conditions are met
Say happy birthday at the right time in the correct location

basically, we don’t need a wake word to trigger Alexa to do something we can trigger from HA we just need a device we can control that starts a routine.

but you can already do that.
it is possible to trigger any routine you like with every entity you got in HA.

the script that you know about and mentioned here:

also makes it possible to trigger routines.
so you can start every routine with a motion detector, or a temperature sensor or with the state from a device tracker.

1 Like

@ ReneTode brilliant !

Completely missed that in the script so stupid! Switched all my programs to using the media player TTS months ago as it was easier to use and just forgot it controls just about everything.

Thanks again JRTFM next time :slight_smile:

i did also implement the mediaplayer because it made it easy to get some default controls (TTS, volume) but the script does everything you can do in the alexa app.

you cant use the mediaplayer to call the weather or to call the traffic, but the script can.

I have found something annoying with this, and I think it comes down to Alexa’s default routines (as created by Amazon or whoever), conflicting with my own user routines.

I have had a routine in place since the feature was added to shut things off when we go to bed.

So the command was set as ‘Alexa, we are going to bed’.
This triggered a few different actions;

1. Say random goodnight message
  2. Dim main lights to 20%
  3. Turn off TV
  4. Turn off AVR
  5. Turn off main lights

This worked great up until a few nights ago, when Alexa started replying with “Good night, I can play relaxing sounds to help you sleep…blah blah blah…” and basically ignoring my routine altogether.

Now my assumption after some tinkering, is that the phrase I have used for my routine has now been used by Amazon to get Alexa to promote some nonsense sleeping app or feature. To somewhat confirm this assumption, I changed my phrase to “Alexa Goodnight” and now my routine is working fine again.

So it looks as if amazon created functions take precedence over any home created routines.

yeah i noticed that months ago.

there are so many sentences or words that cant be used in routines, because other things are done then the routines.

im sure that they check the wrong way.
it should be like:

if text in routine 
  do routine
else
  if text in known amazon actions
    do amazon action

but it seems like its more like

if text in commands
  do command
elif text in skill
  do skill
elif text in routine
  do routine
1 Like

All of these smart speakers have reserved functions. just change it to something else.

I understand that Mirai, but in this case, the reserved function was added after I created my routine, and now overrides it.

If Amazon are constantly adding reserved functions, how are we supposed to predict what they might add? And how long before the list of reserved functions is so long, that creating your own routines is impossible because most normal phrases are used up?

My point is, that it seems more sensible for user created routines to override Amazons reserved functions. That way the user can decide which is more useful to them.

1 Like

It now seems that “Alexa Goodnight” is now a reserved function. After using this for a long time. Tried a few other options like “Alexa I am going to bed” but also reserved.

Anybody got a good phrase for the bedtime routine that is not yet reserved.

see you tomorrow?

Night night? I got sick of saying echo bedtime, so bought 2 round xiaomi buttons. Pur 1 behind my bedside cabinet and behind my wives. Created an automation to turn stuff off via a button press rather than talking to a dot.

Thanks for the surgestions. Set up both for now to see which feels more natural.

Like the button idea. Maybe look at this sometime. Are the buttons RF, ZigBee or z wave?

or alexa buttons?

need a hub but you could get something similar i’m sure for z wave or wifi

that‘s the voice control.Interactions for more smart devices I haven’t tried yet.I would like to make a scene like night falls.Goodnight!
I m a newbie here,btw Haha