Alexa Setup Error Incorrectly Directs User to Nabu Casa Login

This morning I accidentally unlinked my Home Assistant skill in Alexa and now I can’t connect again because the Link Account button takes me directly to the Nabu Casa login (which I’ve never used) rather than the Home Assistant login page.

Can I fix this? Why did the login change?

The Home Assistant Alexa skill (the one anyone can get in the skill store), only works with a Nabu Casa/Home Assistant Cloud account, and requires one.

If you were controlling things with Alexa without this, you must have set some skill up manually somehow through your own AWS account, as noted in the “manual setup” notes in the Alexa documentation linked below, or possibly used the Phillips Hue Integration, or maybe even Node Red? There are several alternatives to the default skill that don’t require the monthly Nabu Casa subscription but they are harder to get going.

Do you remember how you setup your Alexa integration/control initially before you removed your skill?

That’s all been done over a year ago, and it was working until this morning when I accidentally unlinked the Home Assistant skill.

Even the instructions are wrong now for anyone new trying to setup Alexa:

It seems like there is a mixup between the skill you created on your own aws account, and the"official" home assistant skill that goes through nabu casa.

When you created the skill, did you also name it “home assistant”? If so seems like it’s conflicting with the other skill and Alexa is having throuble differentiating them. Not sure if you can rename your skill in the aws account to something other then Home Assistant, or if you have to go back and set it all up from scratch again. I use a node red skill for Alexa control myself, so hopefully someone else more familiar with the custom skill can chime in.

Just had the same issue, but found out that instead of using official Alexa App’s Home Assistant skill, you need to use the skill developed with the AWS (best is to use other name for it, for example HA). This skill can later be found at Your Skills, Dev section of the Alexa App. One you use this one, it links directly to your HA instance, not Nabu Casa.