Alexa Skill to display Lovelace dashboards on Echo Show

wow, wich gen is your show 5?

Mine only opens a black screen and nothing happens, when using the external URL from HA, almost work, it loads HA logo but keep loading the spinner forever and nothing happens also…

I managed to access HA in silk browser without the skill and works fine :confused:

Sorry, my Bad. ( was mistaken, I have Echo Show 8s not 5s. They are 2nd Gen, 2021 release.

Maybe the issue lies in the version of APL. See:

You can see Echo Show 5 (3rd Gen) does not yet support 2023.3. It is not clear to me what version refers to here, maybe the author can comment … but maybe playing with the version and trying 1.2 (OpenURL requires minimally 1.1):

{
    "type": "APL",
    "version": "1.6",
    "description": "Empty APL document.",
    "settings": {},
    "theme": "dark",
    "import": [],
    "resources": [],
    "styles": {},
    "onMount": [],
    "graphics": {},
    "commands": {},
    "layouts": {},
    "mainTemplate": {
      "items": [
        {
          "type": "Text",
          "height": "100vh",
          "textAlign": "center",
          "textAlignVertical": "center",
          "text": ""
        }
      ]
    }
}

If I look here at the Amazon sample:

It uses what seems to be a better version number … “2023.3”. I would try changing that in the template.json file to “2023.2” for your 3rd Gen Show 5 and see what happens. I would be very interested as I was just about to order them at the current super-cheap price. But only if that works.

I would say that this could solve the problem and the author (@aldadic) should comment. Version “1.6” is probably meaningless and defaults to “2023.3”. See this cheatsheet, which clearly states version should be like “2023.3”. As the 3rd Gen Show 5 only supports “2023.2”, maybe change it and test???

Now wading through the documentation, “version” 1.6 is old. Now I would really suggest you change to “version” 2023.2 for your device and test. Not sure it will work but maybe more modern version should be referenced (i.e. the latest supported on the device).

See:

Tested both on 1.6 and “2023.3” and same black screen, thats sad, maybe it is a Echo limitation

Also tested “2023.2” cause it seems to be released to 5 but no success either.

Bummer. Must be. I guess I am dropping those Show 5s from my Amazon Cart!!!

1 Like

As an wild guess and it doesn;t hurt to try, maybe go for 1.1 as the version.
That is I believe the first version that supports OpenURL.

Maybe backwards (and not forwards) does the trick.

I have a IP camera stream in the HA dashboard; this keeps Silk open on the Echo Show

I use the ‘‘My Page’’ skill to open the desired HA Dashboard on the Echo Show.
( Amazon.com: MyPage : Alexa Skills )

And after adding the web adress to ''My Page" I create a routine in the Alexa app:
Routine name: ‘‘example’’
When this happens: Alexa, ‘‘example’’
Add action: ‘‘open My Page and load page 1’’

I’m getting an “error has occurred” response from my echo show. I followed the instructions to the letter and double-checked. I have no idea where to start looking for the error?

So i got further than last time. Now my dashboard wont show. How do i get past this issue

Is the URL perfectly cut off in the picture or is it missing :8123 port? Also I would test with IP address.

I have followed the guide twice (in case I made a mistake) and only get “There was a problem with the requested skill’s response”

I went into Test tab and looked at Device Log but am not really familiar enough to troubleshoot. Where should I begin?

It would be incredible not to be limited to saying numbers only. A simple change of the Slot Type to AMAZON.AlphaNumeric navigates to /None?kiosk. Please, share what else is needed for this fix. Thank you!

The work around for this is using a routine. In the Alexa App set up a routine with whatever you want to say, i.e. open my chore list, then in the “Alexa Will” section put what you would have said to trigger that page. i.e. “tell dashboard viewer open page 16”. That should let you use any phrase you want to open any page you want, still using the numbers from the url.