Alexa Skill to display Lovelace dashboards on Echo Show

This skill basically just opens the dashboard in the Silk browser. Due to a limitation of the Echo Show, every skill times out after a few minutes of inactivity (I think it should be 5 minutes). So the only way to have the Silk browser open indefinitely is to call the skill every 5 minutes. This is what the blueprint does, that I posted earlier.

Works fine. Thanks. Waiting for a new idea

I use browser mod, which creates a device for a browser that connects to HA. I have an automation that uses the sensors that browser mod creates to detect whether HA is in the foreground, and when it isn’t, it starts HA again under the right conditions (in my case, when music is playing, as my echos simply show what’s playing on their associated Sonos speakers).

Thanks @aldadic for this tutorial, everything works perfectly on my Echo Show 15!

However, I have one problem: the resolution when launching the Dashboard Viewer skill is always different - usually too low.

How can I make sure Silk always launches the dashboard at full resolution?

Hi @pietro4711! I’m glad the skill works for you. I’m not sure why this is happening, because the skill only opens the browser; I am pretty sure that there’s no resolution specified anywhere in the code. And since I don’t have an Echo 15, I have no way to replicate your issue, so unfortunately I can’t help you with that.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but have Amazon stopped allowing people to create Alexa skills now? I have been trying to do this. I’ve followed the instructions on GitHub. But when I get to the bit to go to Alexa developer console to create skill I can’t.
Every time I try to go to the Alexa developer console I can’t as webpage won’t load I Just get a 404 error.
I can log in to Alexa developer console but that’s it, no pages will load and so can’t get to page to create a new skill.
It’s seems the pages no longer exist.

I have tried different browsers, I’ve cleared cookies and cache, I’ve tried connecting to different internet networks. I’ve tried 2 different computers, my phone and a tablet.
Same on all devices.

The only way I can find to still create a skill is through the Alexa app, but they make you use one of there blue print templates. None of which are suitable.

I’m in the UK if that makes any difference. Is any one from UK and managed to create skill.
Wondering if you can only create skills in US.

I have a new Alexa Show 10 and want to have my home assistant dashboard on it but looks like I cant

Any advice much appreciated before I return Alexa show and get a Google hub with screen instead.

Thanks in advance

Hi @Pinkb154! I have really no clue why you can’t use the Alexa developer console. It still works fine for me and googling your issue didn’t lead to any helpful results.

I’ve created skill based on github instructions and it works in my devices as expected even I had to install it. As next step I’ve tried to create rutines (in Alexa app) to get direct access overview and it seems skill must have been installed to use it in rutines and it means I have to distribute it. Right now it’s in review process and I assume my request will be rejected (Skill to private page) and honestly I don’t like to share that skill with whole world.
And documentaton (even nice and detailed) not described distribution.
Have I missed something? Can be skill used without publishing?

There is no need to publish the skill and I also wouldn’t recommend it. Just use the “custom” action in the routine and type in the voice command you would normally use to invoke the skill. This is also described on the usage page.

You are right - it’s possible and it’s works now.
Thank you!

I dont know what I am doing wrong, but shouldn’t this work ?

Hi, sorry for the late reply. That should work, so you probably made a mistake in the setup. Check that you have followed all the steps in the instructions correctly, especially that you have set the correct locale in step 8; this seems to be a common mistake.

@aldadic Does your Skill work with Show 15. I created the skill as described in your documentation and everything works fine in the testing in the developer console.

When I’m calling the skill on my Echo show 15, Alexa recognizes it and starts something but the screen is black.

Do you have any idea, what could be wrong?
Does someone else successfully tested it with Show 15?

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Hi @Hansi2000! Unfortunately, I have no idea why it’s not working for you. I don’t have an Echo Show 15, so I can’t test it, but there were some replies in this thread where people stated that they got the skill to work on their Echo Show 15.

works for me on the 15. how are you triggering it, with a routine?

When I click on your blueprint tag I get a error. How else can I find it

Thank for for this. I set it up using your instructions and it’s working great in test on the website and also on my second gen Show 8. My show 5 (3rd gen) doesn’t like it though and I just get a black screen and if I try to invoke Alexa again (even something completely different) it says “You have triggered the fallback intent”.

I can only escape from this by swiping down and pressing the home button. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks!

Hey Aldadic, great work! I’m almost wanting to buy an Echo Show just for this!

Quick question - How often does this page update or is it real-time? For example I have my unifi doorbell and some cameras as part of my HomeAssistant dashboard. Would they be updated in real time or only when the skill reloads every X mins?

anyone got it working on echo show 5 3d gen?

Works perfect on my SHow 5.
I do not care about it staying open or anything.
From my document I leave for guests:

For the Home Automation system there are many entry points, any one of these will open the intended screen but all other screens are accessible for the other down the left side. These apply if you are in the kitchen and are talking to the Alexa Show touchscreen there. These are the most common complete utterances you can say in the Kitchen:

• Ziggy, open R C lights
  • Ziggy, open R C vacuum
  • Ziggy, open R C music
  • Ziggy, open R C playlists

These all work perfect and launch Silk to the correct page.