Alexa Toggle input_boolean

Can appdaemon create sensors or update a sensors status? I haven’t used appdaemon in that fashion before.

I would theorize that you could create/update a sensor to use as the ‘appdaemon app is running xyz script’. Then you’d use a value template to verify that it is running the app. You know appdaemon better than I.

hmm, would be possible.
but input_booleans did function well for me all those time.
right now i am switching to MQTT switches instead of input_booleans.
those i can create and use on the fly :wink:

Those would work the exact same way. Input_boolean is the only control with that ‘doesn’t execute when on’ issue. I’m pretty sure MQTT switches behave the same way as a template switch.

your right. and i can create those switches in appdaemon without restarting HA :wink:

1 Like

For anyone stumbling over this thread having no HA Cloud but only the Alexa Media Player Integration:

Input helpers and custom template switches won’t show up. Automations are being published to Alexa, but as far as I can tell you can only enable or disable them using a routine (not trigger them). What works great is to create a Script in HA, which will be available as a scene in Alexa and you can treat it like a one-off scene trigger that can be targeted with your Alexa routine, which in turn updates your helper entity.

I use it to publish the Echo presence detection events to a HA boolean helper entity.

1 Like

This is how I see the input_boolean helper in Alexa.
This doesn’t let me control it, so Alexa cannot understand if the switch is on or off and the routine does not get triggered.

Any idea how but most importantly how to fix this?

Thanks!

As I said in my message above, you can’t directly trigger anything with a boolean input. You need to trigger a HA automation instead