All Hue bulbs disabled suddenly, shown as "orphan"

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f73978dd620>

Just after noon yesterday, Home Assistant appears to have lost track of, disabled, forgotten, etc., all of my Hue bulbs, as all at once they were changed to “Unavailable.” I know that a lot of people have had issues with bulbs becoming unavailable for a few seconds throughout the day and coming back, as have I. But for some reason these have stayed unavailable.

They appear in the Dashboard, but the toggles to turn them on or off are disabled/greyed out, and they definitely do not respond to running the automations, automatically or manually.

When I look at the bulbs under “Devices,” under “Device info” there’s a note saying “(device unavailable)”. When I bring up the entity itself, I get this message:

This entity is currently unavailable and is an orphan to a removed, changed or dysfunctional integration or device.

If the entity is no longer in use, you can clean it up by removing it.

I have tried searching for answers in the Forum using all kinds of key words and have come up empty; I tried removing one of the bulbs to see if HA would recognize it fresh after hitting the button on the Hue Hub, but nothing.

I had been on HA v0.110.1 and HassOS 3.13 (I think …); the first thing I did was upgrade HA to 0.113.3, nothing, same with updating HassOS to 4.12.

Is there a known way to get HA to fully recognize these entities again, either by adding anything to the config file, or a different way to (hopefully) clear out the cobwebs so that the bulbs can be controlled again?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Has the IP address of the Hue hub changed?

Ooh, good question … now that you mention it I did reboot the wireless router the Hub plugs into, right around that time.

I added the following to my config file:

#Add Philips Hue Devices
hue:
  discovery: true
  static:
    - 192.168.1.21

and rebooted the system. When it came back up I got the message

The following integrations and platforms could not be set up:
hue
Please check your config.

so I guess that wasn’t the right thing.

Thanks for putting me on the right path! I’ll keep searching through the Forum to try to find a solution.

I changed the config file to read instead:

#Add Philips Hue Devices
hue:
  bridges:
    - host: 192.168.1.16
      allow_unreachable: true
      allow_hue_groups: true

(helps to use the correct address, dur) and rebooted, which forced the Hue Bridge to show up as a newly discovered integration, and I was able to quickly replace the old integration.

Thanks again!

No prob, would be a good idea to set a DHCP reservation in your router’s interface for your hue bridge

Indeed. In my searching came across a number of posts about that, will be doing that next.