All my add-ons don't work after manual stop

I noticed really strange behavior on my HA, I’m totally stuck, maybe someone can help here.
Yesterday I made some playing with installation of Zigbee2MQTT add-on. I had some problems with it, deleted and installed this add-on several times and finally I found as follow:

  1. All add-ons, which I already have installed, are working fine, also after restart of HA.
  2. I can’t run any new installed add-on.
  3. When I manually stop any of already installed and working fine add-ons, I can’t run it again.
  4. Restoring of backup taken before my job don’t help!

Strange is that according to log of add-on, everything is working fine. Here is an example with maybe most simple add-on, log viewer. It was working fine. Then I stopped it and run again. Log seems to be fine:

s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: starting
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully started
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: starting
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: starting
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/
 Add-on: Log Viewer
 Browser-based log utility for Home Assistant
 Add-on version: 0.14.0
 You are running the latest version of this add-on.
 System: Home Assistant OS 8.5  (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
 Home Assistant Core: 2022.9.2
 Home Assistant Supervisor: 2022.08.6
 Please, share the above information when looking for help
 or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/ exited 0
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/ exited 0
cont-init: info: running /etc/cont-init.d/
cont-init: info: /etc/cont-init.d/ exited 0
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully started
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: starting
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun logviewer (no readiness notification)
services-up: info: copying legacy longrun nginx (no readiness notification)
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully started
[21:59:40] INFO: Starting Log Viewer...
2022-09-12T19:59:43.498Z logview:debug start tailing /config/home-assistant.log
2022-09-12T19:59:43.512Z logview:info listening on port 4277 (HTTP)
[21:59:43] INFO: Starting NGINX...

But first page of this add shows that it doesn’t work:

Also when I’m trying to run this add from a sidebar, I have a message that it is not working. The same story is with any other add-on: it is working fine until I stop it manually, then I’m not able to run it again. HA log doesn’t contain any info that something is wrong here, the only unknown error found by me is raising after restart and it is “Error setting up platform smtp Traceback (most recent call last):”, then some more details. I have some more errors, but only connected to not available external devices, etc.

And interesting point: backup didn’t help. So affected is something deeper in the OS, not in HA?
Or… I haven’t stored old backups, only few lasts, so it can be that this problem came earlier n the past and I was not aware of it.

Make sure that it is not just a browser showing cached info I stead of the actual page.

Also check the Supervisor log.

I did, also compared it with android app, so not.
Supervisor log - here I have only the same errors as found in text log: some of my devices are not available and this SMTP error - [edit] here I found a reason, I have created email notification, which is not using by me, probably emailbox created for it in the past expired. It is rather not a reason of problems described here.

That’s the core log. The supervisor log is the one you want (selection list is top right of the logs page).

Gents, problem solved. I restarted whole server (by power cycle), after it started to work fine.
Thank you for readiness to help! :slight_smile: