Allow states like „on“ and „off“ for scenes

I have the problem that scenes are not displayed in the scene panel and we found the cause under the following issue:

Because I use automations and Python script to set the state “on” or “off” for scenes, these are no longer listed since core 2024.4. This is probably because HA expects scenes to have the date and time (last changed) as the state.

It would be great if “on” and “off” were also allowed as states in the future. Or scenes could be set to “on” and “off” by default in the future.

This is not a feature that is likely to be implemented.

Scenes do not have an on/off state. They are akin to scripts - they run and set some entity states then finish. The last time they ran is set as the “state”. On/Off has no meaning for something that runs so briefly.

Why are you setting the state to on/off?

Because i just wanna now and displayed on Dashboard, which scene is current on. It‘s something Apple Home shows and Philips Hue too. Only HA doesn‘t.

The need for this can be seen in the custom integration:

Sorry, but for me this is a simple standard feature of a state of the art smart home system.
And to be honest, I find it absurd that I have to implement this myself with automation and Python scripts.

You might find this discussion to be of interest.

One of the lead developers stated (almost 2 years ago) that Home Assistant used to have scene states but it was problematic so they eliminated it.

1 Like

Yes okay, I imagine it’s difficult to implement.

But I personally would be helped, because I get along really well with my automations and python scripts if the scenes were displayed with the state “on” or “off” in the scenes panel.

Closing as a duplicate. You can vote and comment here: Check which scene is currently active