Alpine Linux command line from HAOS hardware?

Hi,

I’m relatively new to HASS, but not to Linux, although I have not run Docker.
I have HAOS running on a RPi4 with external SSD and it’s going great.

I have an LCD display added to the RPi4 and would like to get to the Linux command line
in order to run Xorg and bpswm (already installed)
When it boots, it comes up in the HA CLI: ha>

This is my OS:
Linux a0d7b954-ssh 6.1.21-v8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 16 19:13:22 UTC 2023 aarch64 Linux
NAME=“Alpine Linux”
ID=alpine
VERSION_ID=3.18.3
PRETTY_NAME=“Alpine Linux v3.18”

As I understand it, HAOS runs native Alpine Arch Linux and the HASS as a docker.
So how to I get out of the docker HA command line?
If I type “login”, I get a root # prompt to a read only file system in the HAOS.
(Home Assistant OS version 10.5)
When I ssh into the machine, I get the Alpine Linux OS.
What I want is the get the Alpine Linux OS from the machine’s console.
What am I not seeing?

Thanks

Actually, HAOS runs on BuildRoot. When you SSH you’re SSHing to a container, one that runs Alpine.

You can’t do what you’re trying to do though.

I appreciate your reply - but it seems to me that Buildroot is a tool to create an embedded Linux OS. It is not an OS in and of itself.
What it appears - looking at my setup - is that my system boots Apline Linux and the loads Home Assistant OS in a Docker Container. But looking at the web, some people think that is correct, and others think it is the other way around.
oh, and whenever someone says “you can’t do that” I usually end up with a patent.
:=)

Peace

1 Like

No it boots the Linux kernel with a buildroot build of Linux, the os is HAOS. No Alpine involved then.

It then runs a number of docker containers, including the HA supervisor, HA core, HA-DNS and a number of others. Most of them are built on Alpine.

1 Like

Oh and if you really want OS access, ssh in on port 22222 after enabling it.

Or this unofficial addon 🆕[add-on] HassOS SSH port 22222 Configurator

Also the details of the buildroot system that HAOS is based on is on github GitHub - home-assistant/operating-system: 🔰 Home Assistant Operating System

Well, half of those people are right, and have don’t understand what they’re looking at.

The developer docs explain more, but you can’t run an OS in a container.

1 Like